The $9.00 Shea Moisture Shave : Ultimate Shave Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dridecker, May 16, 2010.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use mine about once or twice a month.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Still using mine every 13th day, right after the 12th brush in my rotation. :D

You're right - absolutely great brush for the buck. Never disappointed when its turn comes up.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Saw this in my local Target store this past Wednesday for $7.99 and I almost bit but talked myself out of it since I don't really need another brush. It did look nice though and the knot felt quite soft with decent backbone.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Backbone is one thing I'd criticize; I thing it lacks a bit of backbone trending toward floppy. I can tolerate it and it still performs well in spite of that.

5. Daxom

Daxom New Member

I have 6 brushes in my rotation, 4 boars, a body shop synthetic and the shea moisture being the first and only badger I have been using for a year now.

That I know of, it has only lost one single hair in that time. It is only mildly scritchy or scrubby, which to me, really exfoiliates my face before the shave.

It works really well on all soaps and creams and is a lather monster. While it is somewhat floppy, I hold the end of the knot with my fingers while lathering just as many barbers do and it works the lather exactly to where I need it.

For it's bargain price, it probably has been my best wetshaving purchase in the year I have taken up this hobby.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have never seen one in the wild. However, I understand that they recently changed the brush and what is out there now is not the same brush as the original Dridecker. Could that be why Jody and others who have seen them at stores lately have not been as impressed?

True... it comes up at $9.99. Hardly worth the never ending Target Wild Goose chase that I have been on for over a year. However, the cheapest shipping option that is showing up is about $15. (and I thought the $7.50 cost mentioned by others was ridiculous) So at $25, I will just hope to find it in the wild still.

7. battle.munky

I just checked my local Target and they have them for $7.99. I'd be more than happy to pick them up and ship them to people if they cover costs. Just let me know via PM and I'll grab whoever wants one one of them. They have 6 or 8 of them in stock.

8. ubermick

ubermick Member

Well, first post, and this is my first brush.

I've been fighting ingrown hairs and bumps that leak water constantly for the past 6 months or so. Shaving lops the heads off these, they get worse, so I avoid shaving for a few days, the hair comes through them and makes them painful, I shave finally, and am back to square one. So have discovered wet shaving, and am doing my utmost to follow the mighty Mantic's videos to deviate away from my "Neutrogena Shave System" with Mach 3 turbo to a nice safety razor/lather combo.

Anyways. Came across this site, and in looking for recommendations for beginner equipment (really didn't want to drop $200 off the bat to get started) and spotted this. Lo and behold, my local Target in Northern California had it in stock for $7.99. Which, to my insanely noob mind, is shockingly cheap for a badger brush?

First shave today, and the brush performed better than I thought for the price. Spent about 60 seconds whipping up a little of the "Real Shaving Company" cream, and ended up with a bowlful of awesomeness that's somewhere between beaten egg whites and whipped cream consistency. I'd have to agree with what others were saying about it being a little floppy in terms of applying the lather - but again, first time doing it, so was likely doing it completely wrong.

Still - for $15 for both this brush and a tube of the RS cream, nice way to get into something a lot more luxurious than Neutrogena shave gel. Here's hoping I'm on the road to avoiding these godawful bumps...

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Best of luck, let us know when you conquer them! :happy088

10. bamabubba

bamabubba Member

I picked me up one of these today. I can't wait to give it a try!!!

11. camjr

camjr New Member

I use one of these daily. I tightened it up a bit with two 7/8" rubber o-rings just above the handle, and it fixed the somewhat floppy feel it had initially.

Great buy for the price.

Cheers!

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have one of these now thanks to Battle.Munky!

I haven't tried it yet (still breaking in the Gonzalo). However, out of curiosity, have any of you tried this version of the brush? I didn't see this at Target online before, but it shows up now.

[​IMG]

It is $14.99 for the kit shown. However, I tried the shave cream once and gave it away. I don't recall why, but I just didn't like it.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I feel really behind the curve, but I just picked up one of these brushes for a travel brush. Used it once and found it very utilitatian. It does seem to dry really quick and the price is low enough I won't be upset if something happens to it, so it seems like a good travel brush. While totally lacking luxery, it does seem to be built better than any other sub $20 badger brush.

14. battle.munky

Dude. I think you nailed it. Works great but little to no lux about it.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I saw that kit on their site a couple weeks back, looks like a sketched boar brush, haven't seen it up close or read anything about it yet.

:sihns011 I found I liked it better than the Tweezerman brush, and a great starter brush.

Of course now that VDH released their Luxury badger, I find that one a step up from Shea moisture brush, IMHO.

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, I finally gave one a whirl. Not bad.. It is much softer than I expected to get at that price range. It doesn't have much backbone, but it can whip up some good Tabac lather!

17. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Shea Ultimate Shave Brush for me it works rely good for $ 9 and change

18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Since this thread has been resurrected I'll put in my latest 2 cents, I'm back to using it 3 times a week now and it's still as rugged as the day I received it 1 1/2 years ago. Mine has lost maybe 1-2 hairs in that time span. I need to find the v2 model and check it out.

19. battle.munky

Yeah, I'll weigh in again too, it's damn good. I use it a time or two a week at least. Some of the best money I've spent in this game.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  20. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

These are still available at quite a few Targets and any Target smartphone app can now help you find where. I sent an email to Shea Moisture yesterday enquiring about the dimensions of this brush. I am bit curious how it stacks up to my other brushes but I don't have any calipers to measure them myself. Does anyone here that has one of these have the capability to measure both the knot and loft on their brush and share it with us?