The "I just got this razor, what's it worth and where can I sell it?" thread.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dridecker, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

If the title of this thread describes you and the reason you arrived at TSD, first let me say, "Hello and :signs046:!"

Now to answer your questions:

"Whats my razor worth?"

[​IMG]
    One Million Dollars!

"Where can I sell it?"

[​IMG]

Now before you go thinking that TSD and its fine members are incredibly rude and mean, let me explain.

TSD is a community of wetshaving enthusiasts that like to get together and chat, talk about, and yes, even occasionally buy and sell things related to wetshaving. For the most part, very very few of us are looking at this as a money making venture, we do it for fun and the love of the hobby. When something is bought or sold in the classified section, it is usually a very gentlemanly/gentle womanly transaction, and profit is usually far from the motive.

If you really want to know what your razor is worth, I would say take a peak at Mr. Razors website if it is a Gillette, and that will help you find what model you possess. That will give you the knowledge to peruse the completed auctions section of eBay and figure out the value of your goods.

If by chance you don't have a Gillette, the completed auctions route of eBay will still help you find what model you have and its value.

Generally speaking, your item is worth as much as the market will pay, and eBay will help you get that idea.

So if your post ends up in here in this thread, don't take offense, just use the above recommendations to help you find your shave items worth.

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Well, it needed to be said, diplomatically of course.:D

I know that my concern with the worth of my razors has been more along the lines of "did I pay too much for that?" Anybody want to buy a Fusion?:rolleyes:

Douglas Carey and Star like this.
  3. kejo

kejo New Member

what is a mint wilkinson sticky worth

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Did I pay too much for this razor?

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Razor USA authorized use of that pic? :D

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

if not, you'll pay WAY too much for that razor :rolleyes::D

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

What is this Razor USA you speak of?

8. Grizzley-1

Grizzley-1 Member

Just looked at Mr.Razors website,that collection of beautiful mint razors makes me think what must that be worth?? There beautiful,Gillette should make a commemorative set of some of those old boys,Id buy a couple

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. hooptie29

hooptie29 New Member

Fernsler's Ruby Hone

Does anyone know how much a Fernsler's Ruby Hone with written insert and original box is worth?

Attached Files:

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It is worth exactly as much as you are willing to pay for it...as is with anything that is bought or sold...or sold and bought...:D

fishcrow likes this.
  11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

CarlfromMO likes this.
  12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Funny! You did the same thing I did Bill. :happy102

13. jasontweed

jasontweed New Member

Gem Micromatic, more info needed

I'm not a shaving enthusiast, but I'm hoping one of you can give me some guidance.

I found a Gem Micromatic razor when we were cleaning out a house I bought. It's a complete set, looks like it's never been out of the box.

It has two instruction booklets, the original five blades unopened, and even a hang tag on the handle attached with string.

The box is nearly pristine. I don't think it was ever used, and by the patina it appears to be brass.

I've only seen one of these on eBay with a box, and that box had a removable lid. My box has a hinged lid.

On the bottom of the box it says "Special Combination Offer!" It says "This new patented $1.00 model GEM MICROMATIC RAZOR and five GEM MICROMATIC BLADES in combination with 35c size PALMOLIVE shave cream or 35c size COLGATES rapid shave cream. $1.35 value all for 49c."

My questions:

What year was this produced? I looked up patent numbers on the packaging and they are 1929 and 1930. I suspect that puts the razor between 1930 and 1937 when the patent would expire.

Is this item of value? I've seen a bunch listed on eBay for around $10, but none had original boxes and complete packaging. It appears that absolutely everything is here.

Is there a better place to offer this item than eBay?

Thanks for your help.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not if you are looking to get the most money for it.

15. Utopian

Utopian New Member

Actually, Dr. Evil has been informed that in today's economy, 1 Million dollars is a pittance. so it really should be 1 Billion dollars.

This is a great, and diplomatic, idea for a thread!

16. rosebomb72

rosebomb72 New Member

Whats it worth?

I guess I am in the right section, anyone have any ideas on the value of this piece. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What Jeff said.

Not to be nasty, but did you read the opening post?

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I can't be certain, but it looks as if that person's post was possibly moved here from another section of the forum just judging from what Bill said in the first post about this thread:
    If so, (and even if not, I agree that) now would be a good time for he or she to read the opening post

19. rosebomb72

rosebomb72 New Member

Ok, the joke is on me. Thanks fellas for the initiation!

20. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That's awesome, and it definately needs to be kept together as a set. I'd love to see the pics and I'm sure other members here would like to see them as well, so if you have a scanner please share them if you are able. As for value, I'd take the pics and the rest to a quality auction house and have them appraised as to what they could bring in at auction. I don't think I would contemplate selling them any other way.

newb and Hanzo like this.