Stropping on leather belt?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ferroburak, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Hi,
    How effective would it be to strop on a leather belt(using inside of it)? Thanks.

2. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

It depends on the belt. A solid cowhide belt, without stitching along the edges, will be ok; not optimal, but ok. Use the suede side as you would the canvas on an ordinary strop.

Best Regards

goshawk

3. Deus

Deus New Member

it's ideal, some people make strops out of old belts, cheap way of doing it

4. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Well, it's supposed to be my first stropping so I don't know how canvas stropping works. And vintage straight I intend to strop has a defect on edge so I'm still undecided..

5. goshawk

You use the canvas side of a strop the same way you use the leather side. It's just a bit coarser, and you use it before you use the leather. Strop on the suede side first and the leather side after. I generally do 20 laps on the suede side of my strop and 65 on the leather.

If there's a chip in the razor, it wont do your belt any good. Post a picture of the razor here and some of the members can give advice on what to do about it. For sure the strop wont take it out.

Best Regards

goshawk

6. Utopian

Utopian New Member

If the razor has a defect on the edge, then there may be no point in stropping it as that defect might lead to a nasty cut. Could you describe the defect? Nearly anything but a bent, cracked, or deeply chipped blade can be corrected.

7. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Sorry for the late message :(

It's a small dent visible only on one side when razor flipped it cannot be seen anymore. (And the seller didn't mention it btw..) Maybe I should put some plastic strecth on the dent and try stropping?

8. goshawk

I think there's not much point in stropping before the blade is in usable condition, and that means fixing the "dent". As for how to do that,it's impossible to give a meaningful opinion without seeing the defect in question. Your simplest course, if you can't get a second opinion based on visual evidence, may simply be to contact the seller and talk refund or replacement.

Best Regards

goshawk