Mild razor choice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Williams Warrior, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Looking for opinions from anyone with these razors. My ej isn't as easy going as I'd like so I'm on the hunt again, next up is the weishi or feather popular. I've read reviews on both just want to know if it was you buying which would you get and why.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have both. Well correction, I HAD both. SWMBO swiped the Gun Metal Weishi for her legs. The Weshi is a nice mild razor. The Feather Portable is a dang good shaver too. It is a little more aggressive than the Weishi, or a Ball End Tech.

If you want to go with a vintage razor, a nice Super Speed would do the trick if you stay away from the Red Tip.

3. +1 on the Weishi Mild Razor.

Now get some sharp blades and get a great shave!

4. geogaga

geogaga Member

Muehle R41

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

The Feather Popular (the one with the black plastic) is for sure a mild shaver.. Ill say its the better choise compared to Weishi..

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Gillette Tech or Schick Krona. Can't miss with either. Need/want one??

7. geneaut

geneaut Member

My Lord Tech 3 piece is uber mild. Slap an Iridium or an Astra in it and for the first few shaves you'll check to see if you have a blade installed.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

All good suggestions.

Do you want a 1 piece TTO, or a 2 or 3 piece razor?

Why not look at something like a slim adjustable where you can dial it up or down as much as you want? They can still be had for a good price. My progress is pretty mild when dialed all the way down. Used Progress razors can normally be found used on the board for about $40 shipped. The beauty of the adjustable razors is that you can tailor them to suit your needs.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 on the Slim Adjustable....

10. Williams Warrior

I personally don't care how many pieces or how the blade installs, I don't have any hang ups about handling a razor blade. Have never used an adjustable before I might have to consider that option as well. I'm not very educated on vintage razors so I'll have to study up on them. I have an old fat handled tech I just can't seem to locate it at the moment.

11. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

That Tech, or any Tech, is probably the mildest of all the razors mentioned in this thread. If you can find it, it's what you're looking for. If not, you should be able to get one for under $20.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think the Weishi is at least as mild as the Tech, but the finish doesn't last as long. For a very mild great shaver, the Tech or a Blue-Tip Super Speed would be my first thoughts. The Weishi also shaves nicely, but isn't of the same quality as a vintage Gillette.

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I used a Feather Popular for a year before I began trying other razors- they're mild and they're light. They're also 90 percent plastic.

I'd suggest a Tech or a Blue Tip Superspeed. Either will treat you well. Techs are easy to find and cheap. If you don't like it you won't have lost much.

14. Williams Warrior

An update to this thread is in order. Just met up with stingraysrock today and did some trading. I got a 1948-1950 superspeed, 1966 flare tip ss, 1973 black handled ss, and a schick krona so I have alot of testing to do for the next couple of weeks.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man, Stingray sure took care of your needs...:)) He's kind-a becoming da man, with hooking cats up...I think you are going to love all those razors in your new "HAUL"...They all sound like exactly what you were asking for...And Stingraysrock, is a very thoughtful cat....You did the RIGHT THING...Let us know how the shaves are turning out...

16. Pilky

Pilky New Member

Flare tips are great, i just got my first one and love it.

17. Williams Warrior

It was a good haul, I'm particularly pleased with the 48-50 ss, I can't find anything worn on it kind of like it just sat in a drawer for the last 60 years. The Krona is one I'm really looking forward to using as well, I can't seem to find any bad reviews
    on those razors. He left in pretty good shape as well, ej DE89L, merkur 23c, 4 packs of red ip's, new tub of tsd iced sub zreo.

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey thanks Bro! It was good to put a face with a name.

19. gman41

gman41 Member

Weishi

The Weishi is a good choice. Mild and not too expensive should you not like this kind of shaving.

20. Williams Warrior

Gotta tell you fellas that the krona with an astra superior platinum is a hell of a nice combination. Just had my sixth shave with the same blade and it's still running strong. Will load a fresh astra in the 48-50 ss on Sunday for the next week, and there has been 0 razor bumps or irritation.