iKon Standard/Deluxe head razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen-Edmonds, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Anyone else have one of these? I received mine (purchased through the special Father's Day sale) today. First impressions are good. Great build. I did notice that if you tighten the head down all the way, the blade gap gets a little messed up. If you loosen it a tad, it evens out.

Tomorrow I will find out how this bad boy shaves.;)

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Great pictures; thanks!

Can't wait for the reviews!

3. cutter

cutter New Member

Let us know how it performs and thanks for the pictures.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Looks nice. Arey the individually numbered?

5. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I've been thinking of buying one of these razors! They look great.

In some respect, it looks a lot like my Muhle R89. I'm wondering if anyone has an Ikon and Muhle and could compare them?

Fritz

6. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

Just got my Ikon razor in the mail today - bulldog handle, open comb (aka deluxe) head, and matte finish. It's a beautiful piece of work! I shaved with it today using a Derby blade (I've learned it's best to go conservative with a new razor), and I was very pleased with the balance and feel and overall near BBS shave. It's a bit on the heavy side, which I prefer. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase, and Greg has been great in responding whenever I've contacted him.

My next purchase may be the Standard head, shown in the pictures above. I tightened the deluxe head all the way down on the blade for my shave, and it worked just fine - blade evenly centered on the head with even gap.

Nice job, Greg! :happy096

--Bob

7. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Nice! How would you rank it in terms of mild/aggressive? Comparable to....

8. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

Looks very nice! I also ordered the bull/deluxe/matte combo. I can't wait to receive it!

9. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

It's my first open comb, so it's hard to do a direct comparison to anything else. I have 4-5 razors, and the one I use the most is the Mergress set at around 2.5 to 3. The Ikon feels similar to me, and seems to shave about the same, but it's a little different feel - likely due to the open comb. I have a Merkur Barber Pole Slant that is definitely more aggressive than the Ikon, which I code as a good thing.

I really like my first shave with it. It has a great heft and the matte finish is really attractive. It's also my first matte finish razor.

I'll probably go with the Derby again tomorrow and then switch it out to something a little more aggressive like Israeli Personnas, which seems to be my "go to" blade lately. I'll post an update when I switch out blades.

--Bob

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I received my razor (matte finish, standard head) razor today also and gave it a test drive this evening. I lathered up with a Valobra stick and my Beaufort B1. Using a red pack Personna, I did a three pass (wtg, xtg, and atg) shave and came out with a good shave, not bbs but good. Like any new razor it takes time to learn. I will post an update after I get to spend some more time with the razor and try a few other blades.

I was pleased with the overall fit and finish of the razor. It looks good and feels good in the hand. The knurling provides a very positive grip. My daily shaver has been either a slant or a feather portable head on a bull mastiff handle. The standard head ikon is not as aggressive as either of them. I don't have enough time in with other razors to give it an honest comparison of blade gap etc.

Overall, I am happy I purchased the razor. Greg produced a nice product and answered any questions in a timely manner.

11. CatMan

CatMan Member

I received the matte finished standard head today and test shaved immediately. My go-to razor has been the Gillette Tech. I expected a similar performance from this one. It was slightly different.
    1) The iKon is heavier, which is a good thing in my book.
    2) The iKon is even more gentle than the Tech. Now that was a surprise!
    Two passes ATG and I ended up with BBS and the least skin irritation ever. It's a winner! Thanks, Greg!

12. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

This is good news, indeed! One more product to add to the list!

13. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

first shave was a little disappointing. Going to see if they improve. It was a reasonable shave, but it felt rough in comparison to my 1904 head mounted on a custom handle.

14. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

that sux!

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I had my second shave with the standard head Ikon tonight and I am afraid that the razor is just too mild for me.

16. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

PM'ed^^^

17. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

The standard heads are mild razors by design , if anyone wanted a bit more of an aggressive shave the open comb deluxe would have been a better option.

I'm more concerned with people being happy with their iKon purchase, so please contact me directly and you may exchange the base plate portion if desired for an open comb.

ikonrazors@gmail.com

--- Greg / iKon Razors

18. K9DVM

K9DVM New Member

I posted the following review on the Ikon forum. I thought it might be useful here as well:
    I am a minimalist. I don’t have collections of things and I prefer to have one or two of things that I really need and use every day. For that reason I appreciate quality items that will last. Up to this point I have primarily been shaving with a Merkur Progress razor. I don’t fiddle with the gap adjustment so I really don’t need that feature. There is also some corrosion on the inside of the handle that is worsening and will eventually cause problems. It is made out of inferior metals that apparently don’t hold up to every day use since I have only had this razor for two years. But, I keep it because it shaves well. Yesterday I received my Ikon standard head razor. The workmanship was outstanding and it is solid stainless steel. It is simple to load and holds the blade perfectly and securely. The blade gap is uniform and very closely approximates the gap that I prefer on my Merkur. The head has indexing features between the cap and the base that allow the blade to “return to zero” every time. In other words, I don’t have to hold the blade in a certain position while I tighten the handle to insure good blade alignment. The handle is knurled and the diameter of the handle is large enough to give me good control. This razor is heavy which I believe helps to maintain the correct head angle and pressure almost automatically. This razor is on the mild side. I like that. I have enough danger and adventure in my life without having my first activity of the day be something that requires deep concentration and hemostasis. What more could you want in a razor? I will hand this down to my son and he will do the same. Perfect.

19. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Looks very well made... Just put this on my short list!

20. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Second shave was better. I am going to give this razor a solid week of shaves before I post an in depth opinion/review.

I do have to say one thing, the handle is superb. The fit an finish is excellent, the heft works very well, and the knurling is the best I have seen for a solid grip.