What is Penhaligon

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Williams Warrior, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I keep seeing this brand name pop up regularly on all the forums. Is it a family of products like soap,cream, after shave,etc... or strictly cologne? And what vendor carries this brand I don't see it it on any of the websites.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

What is Penhaligon?

Over-priced!

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Maybe, certainly expensive. They are a fragrance oriented company and make high-end fragrances that drive up product costs. Some people are willing to pay for that fragrance. Based on the couple EdT samples I've tried, I'd say they're certainly a high end, making them a connoisseur type item as opposed to simply being over priced.

5. Williams Warrior

65.00 dollars for a puck of soap and wood bowl, they're smoking crack over there in jolly old England!!! Here I am giving praise to a .99 cent bar of soap I picked up at the supermarket and melted in a 2.00 dollar bowl from big lots. I hope whoever needs to shave with products that cost that much gets the be all end all of shaves every time.

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I don't think crack smokers would be spending their money on soap! :happy102

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not sure where you saw $65.00. Penhaligons has it listed at 35 UK Pounds, which converts to $53 USD. The bowl is what drives that price up. The soap by it's self is $30 USD. And a thrifty shopper can probably find it cheaper.

The soap lasts a long time. And just like Williams, you shouldn't knock it till you try it.

8. geneaut

geneaut Member

Penhaglion's English Fern is one of the best scents I've ever run across. It even smells expensive ( in a good way ). The Blenheim Bouquet is wonderful as well ( and was created for Sir Winston Churchill's father ) and Sir Winston wore it most of his life.

I like the idea I can wear something the British nobility wore :)

9. Williams Warrior

The price was on penhaligons website, 65.00 U.S. dollars for Blenheim Bouquet with the bowl. There's no way that soap and bowl is worth that much. It's strictly for the label society.

10. Queen of Blades

I'll kindly disagree.

11. Queen of Blades

There is a reason they are expensive, too. The quality of the fragrances. They have the resources to buy expensive essential oils to produce the scents their customers expect and love.

Which is also the reason my dupe of English Fern is not more exact to Pen's EF. I can't afford the quality essential oils Penhaligon can. Few seem to understand how the quality effects the end result. But it does.

Some can afford the sensory experience such products can offer, some can't or don't feel the need to. It's certainly no reason to label people "the label society".

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Williams Warrior

OK I'll buy that, but I won't be buying it.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, really? That kinda comes across as a snub for all the fine members that use Penhaligon's in their shave rotation, and by doing a search in the SOTD, I've seen a number of members who I'm sure wouldn't take too kindly to that snub.

Sure we can get a fine shave out of a $1.50 puck of Williams, and if that is your choice, fantastic! That is your choice to make.

Same goes for the Penhaligon line, if someone chooses to use Penhaligon's in their shave line up, more power to them.

Would I personally pay the $65.00 for a bowl of Penhaligon's soap? No, like any other soap/bowl combination, the price of the bowl sends the price skyrocketing. Looking at their site a puck of soap can be had for $30.00, while I'm sure that a bit of shopping around would yield an even lower price, and being triple milled I'm sure it would last a good long time.

I certainly wouldn't insult somebody that did use their products, and I would hate to think that any of the members on this board would do so either.

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I knew this was going to be train wreck as soon as I seen the title and user...

As someone who started the Dollar General user group on B&B last year before I told them to well anyway, and as someone who finally has money now (I'm not talking Bill Gates, I mean in my pocket), yes high end shave products are worth it.

The only things I disagree on these days are pre-shave oils/soaps and lotions but heh whatever.

The lather from name brand soaps/creams may not be that much better than a cheaper brand if at all, however as JoAnna mentioned, its all in the scent and longevity of the product.

I suggest you go out and buy a high end soap, doesn't have to be Penhaligon's, but I bet you won't be able to kill it in under 6 months unless you boil it or you submerge it everyday.

I went from this:
    [​IMG]
    to something like this:
    [​IMG]

Granted its not Penhaligon expensive, it still was over $60 for the AS and Bowl/Soap.

I still go back to the cheap stuff and use it regularly just because its always nice to use, and theres something about drug store shave goods, that just makes you feel manly ;)

15. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

Penhaligan's is expensive but so is my preferred bourbon. It's a small price to pay if it makes you happy.

16. Williams Warrior

I shouldn't have made that remark and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it. Wasn't trying to rile anyone up, actually I started the thread wanting to know about the cologne and it went off track quickly.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Don't be so quick to apoligize. the Prince of Wales wears Penhaligon's as do a number of the British nobility. It's named after Penhaligon Palace. More than any other British cologne, this is the scent assosiated with royalty, nobles and exclusive men's clubs. Penhaligon is a very old, very snob...I mean "traditional" product. A good product, but will always be associated with "it smells rich." Penhaligon released thier Eu de Cologne in 1870 and re-released it in 2010. Blenheim Bouquet is their flagship cologne and has been in production since 1902.

While not strictly for the "label" society, that is who the target customer is. Feel "snubbed" all you want. I call it like I see it, and Williams Warrior was spot on to say so. If I wore a bepoke Saville Row suit, a Hermes necktie, and Church's shoes, chances are, a bottle of penhaligon's is in my shave den. A true "Gentleman's Cologne."

Penhaligon = :whacky084

18. Williams Warrior

I appreciate the back up. This thread caused me alot of sweating, I thoght I was gonna get the hook and be banned.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Over that? No that wasn't the reason.

20. TSasser

TSasser New Member

Irish I think? :signs046