One pass (1), yes really!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Flatfish, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Anyone here do only one pass? :eek:

It's something I've been trying for a few months. I think the secret is as always a good prep, and the right tools for the job.

I am particularly impressed with the Every Ready 1912 single edge razor. Don't expect BBS with a single pass but I'm convinced its closer that a single pass with anything else in my small collection. Its great in the morning when I haven't got much time.

Another benefit is that the blade despite only having one side lasts a whole week. Sunday is blade changing day.

I also think doing only one pass minimises skin irritation and nicks etc.

Plus is cool that the razor is so old.

2. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I do 1 pass if I'm trying to do ye olde Miami Vice retro look!

1 pass gives me a 5 'o clock shadow... right as I get out of the shower!

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Ah, the elusive 1 pass shave. I've heard of it but never caught one.

Fantastic for you, my friend! And yes, more passes can lead to irritation. I've not heard of the 1912 razor, before. Is it like a Gem?

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I could do a one-pass shave, but why? For me, one-pass isn't as close (it's barely presentable by wet shaving standards) and the only rare irritation I get is from shaving ATG - typically my third pass. I guess it comes down to how picky you are on closeness. Using my Micromatic or NEW, I can get close enough in one pass. But, if I did that on a regular basis I'd have to start shaving in the mornings again. What I like about my 3-pass near BBS shaves are that I can shave in the evening and still be presentable at the end of business the next day.

5. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I know that other peoples won't really see if you are BBS or not , but for myself i prefer to have a clean shaved face, i don't get the point of loosing time shaving and end up with stubbles still on your face.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Congrats!

While it would be nice to achieve that if I was super rushed, I enjoy the whole Zen of my shaving ritual too much to want to do that often.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 on that..Well put.

8. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I agree with Dridecker - I enjoy my shave time way to much to let it slip away and I find that I let it go longer than planned most of the time. However I do find myself pinched for time and have to "rush" from time to time. One those days I grab my Arko shave stick and (like you) grab my GEM 1912 and do a good one pass plus touch up shave. The reason I like my 1912 is I think I get a closer first pass shave with it than I do my other razors. It does a fine job and I am more than presentable for the day. I must add that all day long I feel like I got jipped on my shave time and whenever I get home in the evening I will go back in and do a proper shave before the evening meal.

9. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Congrats! I've never been able to get a shave I liked with one pass, but I've gotten DFS shaves on two passes.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This all pretty much sums it up for me.

11. I only do one pass with a straight to save time some days. One pass an a little touch up gets me presentable. With a regular safety razor though I wouldn't try a one pass shave.

12. CatMan

CatMan Member

Yes, one pass only ATG and getting BBS is possible, but kind of boring. I went back to two passes ATG again. This way it's more fun and I don't waste so much lather. ;-)

13. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I do a one pass with touch ups. Anymore than that and I get too much irritation. I've also found I get a better shave if I only shave everyother day.

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I started DE shaving with the one pass + touch up routine. I still don't do a full second pass but my touch ups have gotten more extensive. I think it'd be accurate to describe my routine as one and three-quarters passes.

15. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I usually do one pass using a gillette slide technique. Then I do some cleanup work on the chin and jawline and under the schnoz and I have accomplished what is, for me, a fine shave indeed.

16. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What is the slide technique?

17. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

My GEM MMOC is good for a 1 pass job with some touch up. 2 passes is usually deadly for my face! I like the SE experience, but it usually deprives me of at least one shave due to how close it is.

Incidentally, tried the Gillette slide with my Super Speed/Feather combo and got a couple of bad cuts! Maybe it was my technique, but probably it was the Feather blade. May try it again soon with a more mild blade.

18. AxelH

AxelH New Member

I think it's demonstrated in one of mantic59's mpeg videos on youtube. Under "advanced techniques" or something like that.

19. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you tube is blocked at school and I don't have internet at the house. I don't really fancy going to a hot spot or the library and have people see me watch videos of a man shaving.

20. AxelH

AxelH New Member

OK. It's the non-circular scything technique. Does that make sense? The j-hook is the circular scything technique, the "Gillette" Slide is the scything technique, when the strokes are with the blade's edge not perpendicular to the direction of the stroke. Usually not recommended for shaving the protruding parts of the face.

"Part of being a man is being comfortable with one's internet-video watching at public libraries." --Axel to Williams Warrior