What is Your Favorite Shave Stick?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Medic_Coop, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

I really like the Arko shave stick that was sent to me by Rudy Vey. I would like to get some more shaving sticks. What are your favorites and why? Why is tallow good? Which ones have tallow, glycerin, etc. Any feedback would greatly help me looking for a shave stick.

Thanks!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've only ever tried the Arko shave stick so I can only agree with you. It is amazing how the lather just jumps out of the brush.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My favorite stick so far is Speick. The scent is just amazing IMHO and it shaves better than most soaps. It's a tallow based milled soap. I honestly don't find tallow as critical, though I like a higher percentage of tallow based soaps.

You ask if tallow is good. I say yes, but not necessarily better than a well formulated vegetable soap. Glycerin is whole different subject that requires more time to explain than I think is justified in this thread.

4. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

My favorite shave sticks are Valobra, D.R. Harris, Ogallala, Speick, Wilkinson Sword, Prairie Creations, and Palmolive. I don't actually have the D.R. Harris, Ogallala, and Prairie Creations shave sticks, but I do have a several pucks of each. They all have tallow, except for Ogallala. I find that soaps with tallow produce a better lather than non tallow soaps, although Trumper's and Ogallala are very good soaps that don't have tallow.

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

My personal favorite is the old formula (with tallow) Erasmic. It's so rich and creamy, I love it!

6. MrLastway

MrLastway New Member

Palmolive shave stick. The German version with tallow. It's my go to soap making a lather to die for. :D

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Arko, followed by Speick, however I still need to try Irish Moos...

8. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I like Speick also.

Aaron,
    I believe Bull Goose has IM sticks in stock. I'm thinking of getting one myself.
    (Hot enough for you?)

Alan in Arizona

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I would say right now my favorite shaving stick is the Irisch Moos. Not only is the lather a pleasure to work up, it smells so nice. Alan, get yourself one, you'll love it. ;) I also love the Arko stick, but not quite, quite as much as the Irisch Moos.

10. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, I'll order one. Ilfait-il chaud a Montreal? Il est 110 ici aujourd'hui.

Alan in Arizona

11. The only shave stick that I have had the pleasure to try so far was La Toja. But it was an excellent soap! Slick, lots of lather, and left the face feeling very nice. Definitely worth a try.

12. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

No love for Erasmic?! I'm tellin' ya guys, get this stick! Whips up a creamy lather, smells great, rinses clean, and leaves your mug feelin' soft, supple, and dashingly smooooooth!

13. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it, but I see from a previous post that you're writing about the old formula Erasmic. Unfortunately, the one stick I got was the new formula, which can just barely be forced to produce a usable lather with plenty of water, elbow grease, and determination. I never throw a soap away, but this one I milled up and mixed with other things to make it better.

The only other stick I've tried so far is D.R. Harris Almond. It smells like Parmesan cheese to me, not Almonds, but I don't mind that, and it lathers well. I have Arko, Palmolive, Valobra, Speick, and Tabac sticks all waiting to be tried.

14. herzi

herzi Active Member

Palmolive

15. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I don't have a favorite shave stick but I used a puck of Kell's Hemp Shave soap like a shave stick and it worked great!

16. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

17. r0b

r0b New Member

palmolive

Hi Guys,

Been a wet shaver for less than 2 weeks, but the addiction has started, and the quest to try everything.

Bought a Palmolive shaving stick today [in UK, 50p] - bit surprised that they don't have some type of container like a push up deodrant stick. Is this what they are all like.

Cant wait to try it tonight!

Got some Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn Traditional Shaving Soap on order as well to try after reading about it on here.

Does the quest ever stop?

Cheers,

Rob.

18. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Member

Valobra and Irisch Moos.

19. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

Tabac-Arko-Palmolive- Erasmic.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'll cast my vote for Irisch Moos. Of course it's the only shave stick I've used, and I don't even use it as a stick. I milled it up into a bowl and use it like a puck soap. But the lather, shave and scent are great. Clean, kind of soapy, outdoorsy fragrance. I really like it.