What is Your Current Favorite DE Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Medic_Coop, Jul 20, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Depends on the razor.

2. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 Member

Iridium is my absolute favorite, but Astra SP is almost as good and less than half the price.

3. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Schick Plus Platinums never let me down.

4. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I like Murkers in my DE and Sharks in my shavette.

5. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

Astra sp is my go to blade. Feathers would be but I start getting irritation after a few shaves.

6. faster_than_u

faster_than_u Member

Astra sp here. Love this blade.

7. gruntshaver

gruntshaver New Member

I just recently found one that completely took me by surprise.

Treet. It's a black coated carbon steel blade. By far the smoothest shaving blade I've tried so far. I'd never even heard of them before and someone gave me one to try.

I must have more!

Abu_Lam'yaa likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Same deal here, I think Perma-Sharp Supers are probably the best blade I've tried but the Astra SP's are less than half the price and damn near as good, I might not be able to tell them apart in a blind-fold test. So the Astras are definately more bang for the buck.

What are these Shark blades that are starting to pop up everywhere ? I saw them in the store today and they were the cheapest blades there...Now I see guys comparing them to Astras, whats the deal ??

9. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Shark is made by Lord and comes in two flavors; stainless and super chrome. Lots of guys love the Shark but Lord gets little love. Personally, I have tried the super chrome and it is a good blade but I prefer Lord Platinum. I find the Lord smoother and it is cheaper. Naturally, big YMMV on blades. ;)

10. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Feather, though tht might change in the future. I got started with a DE just a while ago and Feather is what I've used most. Am currently using a Personna Red, though am not that happy with it yet. But maybe it's still very dependant on my own technique..

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

My go to blade is a Shark Super Stainless or Super Chrome.

I had really good luck with older Derby's (landscape package) but I am afraid of the newer batches (portrait package).

Feathers are great but overpriced when you consider what some really nice, inexpensive blades have to offer.

12. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

So that's what that was. I wondered what was tickling me :D

13. r0b

r0b New Member

Gillette 7 o'clock yellows for me so far

14. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

As I try more brands I find myself really liking the store-brand U.S. Personnas which were my first purchase after my Feather's original blade was done. In at least two razors I didn't feel the blade as I passed two or three times!

I bought a 50-pack of Israeli Blues and am happy with them, but I'm thinking my next bulk purchase will be of 250 of those unmarked U.S. Personnas.

15. Rothbardian

Rothbardian New Member

Sharks-Sharp enough and VERY smooth

Feathers- Even sharper, but I can't be as careless as I would be with the Sharks

16. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Med prep Personnas. Very sharp, very smooth and last eight to ten shaves. Next would be Iridiums then Astra SP. Don't like Feathers at all.

17. Raymond Solema

Raymond Solema New Member

Been shaving since about 18 I'm 63 now Thought I knew,pretty much all there was to know about shaving.Straight razor/-Stick 1234or5 blades/Electric shavers.
    Boy was I wrong! What does DE mean? Read a post where the writer talked about shaving with a fusion,I think it was. Until he started wet shaving.I thought shaving with any kind of razor with shave cream as apposed to electric shavers was wet shaving. Guess I'm gonna have to get you guys and gals to teach me how to shave all over again.

18. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Either Derby Extras or Shark Super Chromes. They both work about the same in my Merkur HD.

Both are excellent blades. Both are the "new" versions.

Harrumph to all the complainers against Derby!

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

DE = Double Edge
    Check out all the acronyms here. Oh, before you click that, go get a snack and your favorite beverage. You just might be a while ;).

Here's a great place to start learning (or relearning:D).

Here's a list of places to shop.

Oh, one last thing. Wander over to the NEWBIES thread for a proper intro and a chance to get in on the free give-away just for new folks!

(hope I didn't hit you with too much all at once, there, pardner!)

20. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Iridium Super is my favourite.
    Other very similar and very enjoyable are the Permasharp and Gillette Bleue Extra blades.