I'm feeling a bit down

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by El Judio Afeitado, Jul 31, 2010.

1. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

So, I've been DE shaving since this past March. And back in April I nicked my cheek; small scar, but it's permanent. Yesterday, I got a nick on the right edge of my chin; its scar will be there when I die.

My technique would seem to be improving. I don't often bleed these days. When I do, it's leaving me marked on my favorite face.

A small voice is telling me I may have made a mistake. And I know there's a fresh Bic Sensitive in one of my dresser's drawers ...

To pour a bit more salt on my banana split, I received a package from Joanna yesterday. The after shave milk and matching cologne are heavenly. Just as I think I'm settling in to this new regimen, I start with the scarring. It would be like casting pearls before swine to apply these products after a Bic shave!

Any advice? Has anyone else felt this way? I've a fair amount invested in all this but not hundreds of dollars yet. I could walk away and turn others on to my stuff.

Yes, I know, I'm the only one who can or should make the decision to go back to disposables. But has anyone else gone through this?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are using an old cartridge technique of sliding your razor on your face. I've used de razors on and off and now permanently since the late eighties and have never cut myself badly enough to leave a scar. So tell us what your razor,blade,soap/cream is and also how you shave such as wtg,atg, etc... I'm sure one of our mods or other members that are better teachers than I wil be along shortly to offer more help. Don't give up it's worth the struggle to master this.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I have gone through it, but with straights.

I have a permanent 1 inch scar on my left cheek, that is quite easy to see when clean shaven. At the time I was a bit down about it, but then I decided to use the experience to learn from and (hopefully!) never repeat again. The scar on my cheek is a constant reminder to me to take care and learn my lessons.

Besides that, in some ways a scar is kinda cool. I mean, we've all heard it before, but I get a lot of mileage out of explaining to people how I got the scar duelling with a sabre on the misty banks of the Isis over the honour of my wife! Some people even believe me :)

You have choices, and as you say they are up to you. You can certainly go back to disposable cartridge type razors, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Or, if you really enjoy the more "old school" shaving regimen, you can use these mishaps to learn from and move forward. No one is going to judge you either way. We all must do what is best for us.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

James.

4. El Judio Afeitado

Sliding, stroking, HUH?

Oy, I just don't know.

Well, I just now thought about this: I've got a half-dozen razors and have been using a few different brands of blades. AD? Naaah, I need all this stuff! ;)

Perhaps I should simply put them all away except one. Choose, and then use it exclusively with one kind of blade for a month? Can it be that I've started messing about too soon into this?

I have plenty of Israeli blues. Maybe I will do just that; pick one axe and go for it.

At present I own a Feather Popular, J4 Super Speed, Treet Del-Rin, Merkur 38 C and the shorter-handled 178, and a Weishi. My smoothest combo so far has been the Del-Rin with US Personnas. Hm ...

5. El Judio Afeitado

Thanks, James. That kind of thought has passed through my mind, about the duel in Heidelberg. 'Cept no wife or even GF these days. :o (Not till I've finished losing weight and once more feel really good about myself. I haven't for a long while; DE shaving is another tool I'm using to lift myself back up again. :cool:)

I'm on record at all my forums as being not a straight razor type of guy. And now I see that yes, my scars could be larger. So I believe I'll try what I just posted above and go with perfecting my technique with one set of equipment. The disposables obviously are not going out of production at any foreseeable time.

And I love the feel of my toys in my hands! Got a boar and a badger, soaps and creams. Woohoo!

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Definately one razor and blade combo for at least a month. Sliding is when your moving the razor horizontally without picng it up for the next stroke. Or you might be setting your razor on your face for the next stoke and not using a light enough touch chopping a cut like a cleaver. If that's the case try setting the razor to your face for each stroke with the head flush on your skin and the handle out 90 degrees from the floor, then rotate the handle down until you hit that 30 degree sweet spot.

7. El Judio Afeitado

The sweet spot

You may be (prolly are) right. I'll have to make my choices and pay strictest attention to what I'm doing.

Now which shall I use? :confused: Decisions, decisions! :think002

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Maybe you are using pressure like cartridge razors encourage you to do? You must use zero pressure with the DE...

9. El Judio Afeitado

Pressure?

Dagnabbit, I don't think so, but I know that's probable. :mad:

I believe I'll have to go Zen Buddhist in my approach. "There is NO blood ... " :happy102

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Hmmm... My advice would pretty much go with your own suggestion.

Use the razor/blade combination that worked best for you for a month straight before making any changes, just to be sure of your technique, and let the variety be in your soap/cream/aftershave picks.

Also be sure to use slow short razor strokes, that way if there is a nick, the chance of scarring is minimized.

11. El Judio Afeitado

Roger that, Bill. But I have been using short strokes. When I used the Bic disposables, I would schuss like a skier across my face. No more.

I'll wait till the last minute tomorrow, then decide.

12. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I've got battle scars, too, and I'm not happy about it, but I refuse to be afraid or to quit without mastering the art these scars bought.

13. El Judio Afeitado

The stubborn fella in me feels the same way, CC. That's why I sent out this SOS.

You people here are A#1 and no foolin'! :thanks

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No scars from DEs nor straights here, but I do have scars from disposables/cartridges.

Scars fade as time goes by.

15. El Judio Afeitado

I sure hope so, JoAnna! The one by the chin will be covered up after Labor Day when I start my raggedy little blanket there.

16. El Judio Afeitado

I have made my choices. I shall use the Merkur 38C with U.S. Personnas for the next month exclusively. If I run out of them, I'll use the blue Israelis which are close enough for rock 'n' roll as far my skin is concerned. I have plenty of Ogallala BR soap and creams if I feel like switching off. But I'm in love with my Omega boar brush and what it does to that soap!

And the experiment begins ...

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

You're worried about scars, yet you're using US Personna's omg :happy102

18. El Judio Afeitado

It'd be funny, but they've given me smooth comfortable shaves. No nicks from them. Dorco 301, Treet, and Merkur all have cut me. I've done OK with Feathers, Yellow and Green Sevens, horizontal Derby, two Vidyut marks, Nacets and the blue IP and red-packs.

Go figure, huh? ;)

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Be sure to keep us up to date Michael.

20. El Judio Afeitado

R U kiddin'? I'll be amazed to see this through. Of course, I really do have to. And in September I regrow my mustache and little chin beard anyway.

Gritting my teeth but I know I have good equipment to use and a determination to get this right. I don't remember my beloved daddy walking around bleeding every morning!