KimSon Custom Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CatMan, Aug 8, 2010.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

Finally I received my KimSom brushes. It takes quite a while to ship them from Vietnam to the US. I suspect they were held at the US customs for a while.

Those babies are not in the catalog (in this size). I asked Mr. Vu Kim Son if he could make me two of his catalog models in knot size 28mm, and he agreed. He's a pleasure to deal with! Last week they arrived and I had a chance to test them both for a few days. I am really impressed! These are lather machines! I'll need a larger bowl to create lather in, since it's not easy to retain the lather in my current one. The touch to my face while applying the lather is as soft as can be! Pure luxury!

The handles are buffalo horn, one black, one multi colored. The knots are Chinese badger of the highest quality. The craftsmanship is first class! Comparing those brushes with my other 28mm and 29mm knot sized brushes, I found the new ones to be even larger in knot size. So I measured, and sure enough, they both are 30mm! What a bargain!

Folks, if you're looking for a high quality brush at a very, very reasonable price, this is the way to go. Highly recommended! Their website is www.kimson.vn.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with this company, just a very happy customer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kojak

Kojak New Member

Beautiful. That is going to be a family heirloom.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice!

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow. I couldn't imagine the 30 mm knot. I had a black horn handled 24 mm brush show up yesterday and it seems huge, soft, and fairly floppy. I normally face lather with shave sticks, but think I will have to modify my routine use the new brush. I was able to build a nice mountain of lather using Williams to try and get rid of some of that dead dog smell.

Both of your brushes have nicer handles then mine. Mine also took 4 months to get here. I originally ordered a bone bone handle and it broke while he was polishing it. It would have taken another few months to get another one, so I asked if he could just send me something.

5. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thanks for the friendly comments, guys!

Yes, I favor the bigger brushes. My smallest one is a knot size 25mm. I use it as my travel brush. :cool:

I'm aware that using those big ones means to waste quite a bit of lather. Although I look like Santa after applying lather to my face, and after three passes still have enough left over to shave at least one other person, who cares? It's fun! Which is why I started traditional wet shaving to begin with! :D

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Love the black horn. Black water buff horn scaled straights are a delight to see and to see it in a brush handle is a treat.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Good thing they're shaped the way they are, I would hate to see someone knockoff Plisson...

8. CatMan

CatMan Member

I agree. I'd really hate to see Plisson copy a genuine Kimson brush and then charge an outrageous amount of money for it! ;)

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Nice try, but sorry you lose.:happy102

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Kimson makes some truly gorgeous brushes. I've been fortunate enough to use several, and they have all been a treat.

11. mretzloff

mretzloff Member

The handles sure look nice, but how dense are the brushes?

12. CatMan

CatMan Member

As a soap user, I use cream only to create "ueberlather", I find the density just right. Of course, YMMV.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Here's my brush.

[​IMG]

Don't have enough time with it to give an honest progress report, but it is the softest brush I own. I have done a few test lathers with it and it seems to do alright with both soaps and creams.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I'd rate it as medium.

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

There are lots of brushes on the website..can I ask what you paid for it and whether it was chosen by the stock inventory list or custom? If you would rather not say, I understand.

Either way, both are visually fantastic..I'd love to see an update as you use them more.

16. CatMan

CatMan Member

The multi colored one was $70, the black one $50 plus $7 each for the size, plus $8 and change for shipping. I picked them from the online catalog and asked Mr. Vu Kim Son to make them in 28mm. That they turned out to be 30mm was a pleasant surprise.

17. mretzloff

mretzloff Member

Thank you!

18. ironbrewer

ironbrewer New Member

I love my Kimson brush. I think its just right, and its a pleasure to look at.

19. I wonder if such large brushes would be good for women's leg-shaving, in that case. I'm trying to get my girlfriend into traditional shaving...if she takes to it, I might be dropping Kimson a note...

20. slonenek75

slonenek75 New Member

That's a good looking brush you have.