First Shot at Wetshaving

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by pdlbooboo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

I just picked up a brush and puck of Williams shaving soap today because I have a Weishi on the way. I figured I'd get the lathering and brush part down before going into total uncharted waters and was pleasantly surprised. I was blown away by how much of a better shave I got even when I stuck with the Mach III. I am hooked right now but I hope the Weishi doesn't throw me. I am a broke art student who's options aren't exactly vast at this point but if anyone has and tips or anything I would be very thankful. I did the hot steamy shower and keep the mug nice and toasty with warm water but if there are any other wetshaving secrets that can improve my experience (if that is even possible) please share.

Thanks!

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

congratulations, weishi is good starter that was my first DE. I would suggest you visit youtube check out mantic59 videos very informative and accurate information. he even shaves with a weishi in a video.

3. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046

Enjoy your stay here :happy088

:sihns011

4. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

I went through similar steps to you and was surprised just how better things were with made lather instead of the canned goo :D

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:happy088

Welcome to the Den!

6. Welcome!!! ;)

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

I used to have a Gunmetal Weishi, until SWMBO kipped it for her legs. It was a nice mild shaver, perfect for getting started.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD!

Let me share two pieces of advice:
    1) Sign up for the August Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great gear. You can't a much better start that the luck person who wins this every month!
    2) Read through the Shave School Master Stickies. It's where we've collected all the stuff you'll want to know when getting started. If you haven't watched Mantic's Videos, start there.

9. xbeezer

xbeezer New Member

From one Newbie to another Welcome!!

10. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

Thanks All!!
    @ChemErik I did check out the shave school masters and mantic but where do I sign up for that newbie drawing?

11. swarden43

Click here ---> click

12. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

Thanks a lot swarden! sry about the misplaced thread by the way i just realized that there is a newbie section...

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks Steve - I clearly missed adding the link!

14. parabellum-1975

parabellum-1975 New Member

I agree, mantic59 videos can help you a LOT starting things up!
    good luck!

15. swarden43

Teamwork, Buddy. :eatdrink047

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Welcome to the den.

Another good inexpensive soap normally available locally is Van Der Hagen which is roughly a buck and a half. I like Williams, but if you encounter difficulty with it, this is another option. It also lends itself to melting and adding menthol, colognes, shave creams etc.

17. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

I will definitely be trying some VDH soon and i picked up a cheapo target badger brush today too. I'm lookin forward to trying it out. I've been watching a lot of mantics movies too they are soooo nice in starting out! and btw thanks for the link swarden! thanks for all of the responses too guys!!! :)

18. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

where would one get menthol to add to shaving soap?

19. swarden43

Why, right here from our very own TSD Store, of course.

I've put three drops into my lather bowl for the shave, added two drops to witch hazel for after the shave, even plopped down four drops into my shampoo for the shower - all with fantastic cooling results.

Note: the drops added to the witch hazel and shampoo go into my hand first, not the bottle.

Oh, and don't forget to join MUG (Menthol Users Group) - see the little frozen guy at the bottom of my post.

20. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

wow thanks swarden!! you are all over those links, and a good thing because they are very helpful!