Non-Alcohol Based After-shave Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by pdlbooboo, Aug 29, 2010.

1. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

I was doin some late night mantic watching and noticed he talked about using non-alcohol based after shave balm. He swore by it and I'm curious so... Suggestions on Balms? Explanations for this opposed to the alcohol based splash on Old Spice that I normally use?

2. interesting ....

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Personal preference, skin complexion and quality of your shaves generally determine what works best for YOUR face...

Its one of those YMMV things....

4. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

Does anyone here use after-shave balm? if so any suggestions? I'd like to give it a shot

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

1. TSD Aftershave Milks. While not a balm, they are very soothing.
    2. Anything from Arko.
    3. This is a freebie ASB that I got from Gary over at Shoebox in my last order. It is very nice and I imagine I will order one when this runs out.
    4. I have not used it, but a lot of folks here use Nivea Replenishing Balm.

6. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Try the Nivea Revitalizing Double Action Post Shave Balm w/Co-Q10...I use it and it's great...great smell too...and I use Old Spice too...generally use the AS first then the balm...the smells blend well...

7. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

Thanks Jeff I think I'll try the Nivea since I can pick it up locally.

8. DErminator

DErminator Member

Nivea sensitive AS balm is also good. I use it for those shaves when I push too hard:rolleyes:

9. Griz

Griz Member

I use Neutrogena Face Lotion / After shave / spf 15. I don't hear anyone talking about it, but i think it is great stuff. Very soothing and I get it at Wal-Mart.

After it dries a little, on goes the AS of choice

Will N.

10. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Brut moisturizing ASB.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you have a Dollar General near you, go take a look. They discontinued carrying the Nivea ASB and had great sales on it. I think I paid $1.50 per bottle. If you get lucky, you may be able to snag some.

12. AxelH

AxelH New Member

Nivea's "Sensitive" line "Extra-Soothing" is what I have that is non-alcohol. It works nicely.

The "Triple Protect?" Yes, I like that one too.

13. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

i have a dollar general just down the street so i'll look into that first, as I am a college student and funds are low. thanks for all the great ideas guys!!

14. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

+1 for the sensitive balm. Good after an aggressive shave with either of my single edge razors.

15. kurtb2080

kurtb2080 New Member

The TSD aftershave milk is something Im looking into. I have a sensitivity to alcohol in aftershaves, tends to make my face irritated and break out. The TSD milk does seem pretty mild though? I wonder if the EOs in them would bother me....maybe I'll get the plain one.. Hmmmm...

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you're lucky enough to still find it of course as they discontinued it about 5, 6 months ago. I cleaned my local DG out at $1.35 a bottle X 8 bottles. It's good stuff and smells good. The Nivea Sensitive AS Balm anyway. They make 3 others too.

17. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

grapeseed oil

18. I prefer alcohol-based A/S's, since I have pretty moist skin anyhow and I like the drying sensation (it still doesn't dry my skin out) and the burn. I do have some Nivea for Men Sensitive around just in case I want a balm, and I've got another couple around here somewhere I've yet to try out. If you've got dry skin or the alcohol burns too much, definitely go for the balm.

19. I know at least Target carries the Nivea Sensitive as well, though it's probably not as cheap as dollar general.