Carbon Steel blades or Stainless Steel blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Aug 13, 2007.

?

Carbon Steel blade or Stainless Steel blade

1. Carbon Steel

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Stainless Steel

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is your opinion which works better?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd say that depends on the brand not on the type of blade. You can come across good and bad ones from both types.

The only advantage the stainless-blades have - in my opinion - is, that they're, well, stainless :D

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ditto!:D

4. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

are we talking str8 razors or de blades?

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

as the thread resides in the "Safety Razors" subforum, I'd say we're talking DE blades :D

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Since I use both, I don't know how to answer. My two best blades are the Treet Blue Special (carbon) and the Astra Superior Platinum (stainless). So there you are.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Now that is a big YMMV. :rofl

Carbon is better, no Stainless is better.

8. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

ahh yes I need to start looking at those type of things before I shoot my mouth off eh?:rofl

9. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I closed my eyes and pointed and clicked on the poll. ended up on stainless steel. so that must be true.

I would think if you have hundreds upon hundreds of razor blades that you are trying to get through you may want to stick with stainless steel. I would think Carbon steel would be the first of the two to rust.

10. fritz

fritz New Member

That would mean you should use the carbon steel ones first, so as to finish them before they rust.:D

Actually, like Michael, I use Treet Black Beauties, and also Feathers, and IPs and Astra SPs. All of those blades are sharp enough to give me a close and yet comfortable shave, given adequate prep. After that, it's mostly a matter of price/shave, convenience of supply, etc. Rust has not been a problem for me, even though I tend to pick a different razor every day and may not get back to that same one for a week or more.

I note that the str8 shavers seem to believe that carbon steel can take a sharper edge than stainless, but the stainless will dull less quickly. I agree with them.

And when it comes to a blade, sharp, smooth, and cheap wins every time with me!

11. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

Michael,
    How did those discount bulk Astra S.P. turn out?
    Weren't they like 11 bucks/100?
    Do you still have the link? I really liked the ones I tried.

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I use the Swedish Gillette Platinum, so whatever that is (stainless?) I like 'em.

Now, I'll use either in SER, but that's another thread... :D

13. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I see the same rules that apply to alcoholic beverages also appy to razor blades!!!!!

14. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The bulk Astra Superior Platinums work just fine. Here's the link. And you're right: $11/100. I think the best way to order is to give them a call.