My first DE shaves

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Reformation Student, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

So I bought a 1956 Gillette SuperSpeed and had 3 shaves with it to try and get used to switching between straights and DEs.

First shave using a feather blade = :eek: why would anyone want to use on of these??

Second shave using a Derby blade = hmm, this isn't too bad but I still prefer my straight

Third shave again with a Derby blade = :D why am I using a straight??

Can't see ever putting my straight into retirement but I do love this Superspeed.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Makes you feel downright dirty like your betraying your Straight. But, it tends to be so much easier does it not?

Grats on the shaves.

3. Reformation Student

Thanks. Yep, much easier for sure. It will be seeing more use than I originally thought :D

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

don't say that to loud the SR Gods can hear everything:D

Raf

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Cool! Go DE-razor!!

Keep the good shaves coming.. :cool:

6. Reformation Student

I didn't say anything :angelic007

7. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The DE shave is certainly nice. I haven't tried a straight, but I enjoy the focus of using the DE -- and the result.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

How does the shave from the strieght compare to the shave from a double edge? I am told that the streight gives the closet shave possible, closer than a double edge.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'd say a good open comb would give a str8 a run for i's money for closeness.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Based solely on my experience with both DE and Straights, the shave that I get from a straight is much closer than with a DE. Ever since I started shaving with a Straight edge I only use a DE for touch ups in a hard to get area of my neck. After one year of using a straight exclusively, my shaves last longer meaning I dont feel any stubble for at least 16 hours after my shave. Sometimes I can ride a BBS shave for a day and half. Everyone is different so this is just my experience.

Raf

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Started with DE razors last summer. Loved the shaves, loved learning which blades worked best with which razors, etc.

First tried a str8 back in March. I thought, "there is no way this will shave me closer than a DE!" Well, after some time to improve my technique, learning to hone, etc., I now get shaves like what Raf describes. Very close, BBS shaves that seem to last longer than any DE shave, even one from a Fatboy or other adjustable dialed all the way up.

I think the fact that I control ALL the variables (angle, blade exposure) with a str8 makes the shave closer, even if a str8 blade isn't as thin and sharp as a DE blade. I still use a DE razor when I'm time-pressed, but I prefer the shave I get from a str8.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What made you start thinking of using a double edge? I have heard of people going from double edges to streights, but never the other way around.

13. Reformation Student

For me, a DE was a good idea as I will be traveling alot over the next couple of years. Having done a couple trips already with my straight, I decided I didn't want to be bothered with packing the strop and razor and worrying about it getting damaged by the airlines. Also, in the hotels, I don't always have a good place to hang the strop. So, a DE seemed like a good idea.

I used it this past weekend just to get used to it and I think I got even closer than with my straight. Less irritation as well. Seems like my straight isn't as good as I thought it was in regard to sharpness. At least now, I have some comparison in order to improve my straight shaves with.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but it works for me :D

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Have you tried a double edge razor specifically designed for travel?

15. Reformation Student

Wasn't aware that one existed. Probably wouldnt' try it now because I have my Gillette and am very happy with it. It'll fit nicely in my dopp kit, too.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Feather and Merkur make nice travel razors and you can always find a nice Gillette travel razor for sale on eBay or the forums.

17. Reformation Student

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind should RAD ever kick in :D For now, I'm happy between my SuperSpeed and my straight edge.

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have a razor coming in the mail which is a travel version of the super speed.

19. fritz

fritz New Member

Travel Razor

This little jewel could get lost in your shirt pocket. Cost me 99 cents + $1.60 postage off the 'bay. Brand new Old Stock from 1977:

Attached Files:

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll give you $1.98 for it. 100% profit. :D