The Gillette Tuckaway

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Oldguy, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Here is a view of my Tuckaway collection and variants. While most of you may be familiar with the Tuckway, many of the new members may not. To me, after the ABC pocket sets, the Tuckaway is my favorite travel sized razor. All of them are really great shavers as well.

All of the original New Improved Tuckaway's in my collection were made in 1921. The Norfolk was made in 1930 as was another New Tuckaway Deluxe I have. Here are the originals.
    Tuckaway_gold.jpg
    Tuckaway_silver.jpg

Here's the handle length comparison to a standard size New Imroved. This one is from a Richwood set.
    Tuckaway_size.jpg

Here is a variant of the original Tuckaway, the New Norfolk Deluxe. It was made chrome plated, gold plated and I believe silver plated as well.
    Norfolk_Deluxe.jpg

Here is another variant in a different styled case. It's a New Improved Tuckaway. There is no set identification on the inside of the case. I have only seen one other set and it was nos including the shipper which did not identify the set either. It has also been called a Somerset but I don't believe it is.

New_Tuckaway_Deluxe.jpg

I hope you enjoy looking at these old vintage Gillettes. I really enjoy collecting them.

Len

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sweet collection!

I keep trying the O/C's but have not found one I like yet.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs154

Very nice!

4. Really beautiful ... would be a shame too dirty with shaving foam as gorgeous!

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

These are my favorite razors to collect. I don't know exactly why, I just think they look awesome in those cases I guess. You have a fantastic collection. Beautiful specimens.

I just have a couple to add, not near as pretty, but hard to find:

the Gold New Norfolk Deluxe with Tuckaway handle:
    [​IMG]

The Silver and Gold New Norfolk with Bar handle
    [​IMG]

The Gillette Summerset.
    [​IMG]

I also lump in the Milady sets in with these.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And just because it is the only one I have seen, the Vienna 4 piece Vest Pocket razor:
    [​IMG]

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Holy Mackerel at that Vienna! Wow! [​IMG]

7. IAmTheJody

My regular ole 1922 Tuckaway...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Your sets are hard to find. I'd love a Somerset in just about any condition. The Vienna is really hard to find. I have only one Milady Deluxe in the Jade set. It seems collectors are jumping on them. The prices have really gone up. It's also really hard to find one without a lot of cap wear because of the hard case.

I like your collection a lot. Good stuff.

Len

9. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Nice:signs021

10. Hiya,

Man, those Tuckaways are some purty lookin thangs. I can shave with those fairly comfortably because of the NEW Improved head. The razors that wanna try and bite me are those with NEW Deluxe heads like the Norfolk, and so I never use em. I do like the weight and balance on all those types, but they aren't the best fit for me.

Thanks to the various members for the nice pics,

Martin

Oh Len? That Chrome set looks sorta familiar....heh.

11. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Very nice Gentlemen !

12. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Good looking kits! Thanks for sharing.

13. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

Great razor...one f the first DE razor I got.

14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

This post inspired me to pick up a Mylady. Thnx!

15. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Heh, Martin. Yup that's the one. It has a very prominent place in my collection. And now it's world famous. It seems like our sensitivity to different razor heads is exactly opposite. I find the New Deluxe head gives me a nice smooth shave while the New Improved is a little too aggressive. It's funny how that works out.

Best,
    Len

16. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I truly like this razor.

Here is my tag sale special which has a place in my rotation.

17. highball

highball Member

Here is my Red and Black set with a handle that looks like one from a Tuckaway only full size

Attached Files:

18. IAmTheJody

Yes, some of the 'Red & Black' sets did come with this rarer handle that looks like a stretched 'Tuckaway' handle. Very cool!

19. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That is news to me. Worth a look for sure!!

20. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I never saw one either. That's pretty unusual. Neat.

Len