R&B Sample Pack

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Infotech, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'm jumping back into DE shaving after about a 6 month hiatus. I think I can be more successful this time around because I won't have to worrry about wether or not I've got good lather since I've been using a brush and creams during that time and I can concentrate on my technique.

So that brings me to the reason for my post. It's nice to see some competition in the sample pack market. I'm planning on ordering the largest pack from Razor and Brush. Is there a recommended order for using the razors in the pack? I’d like make my way through it from dullest to sharpest or least aggressive to most aggressive if it makes any difference.

Nice forum!

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome Aboard!

I do belive he has Crystal blades in the pack, they are pretty good for first, very forgiving.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I dunno. but......

Welcome to The Shave Den, James!

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Michael Ham, from this board over in the Shave School section once said to me "Results from shaving are 80% razor and 20% blade." This is Michael Ham's opinion. Folks at another forum told me that the two leading double edge razors are the Gillette Super Speed and the Merkur Vision. The Super Speed barely edges out the Vision taking 51% of the vote.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I think it was the Super Speed and Merkur HD for the best beginers razor, not the Vision.

I say its more 40% Blade, 40% angle and technique, 20% Razor. :p

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

My 1950-ish SuperSpeed is still one of my faves after 1.3 years at this.
    Very easy to use....lightweight and forgiving.
    Great razor.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I think Doc is on the right track. It is a combination of several factors coming together. The razor, blade, technique, face prep and angle are important factors to take into consideration. I disagree with the statement that it is 80% razor and 20% blade. The blade can change the shaving performance of a specific razor or any razor for that matter. For example, when I started shaving with a DE I tried several blades with the same razor. The day I used my Gillette adjustable FB with a Israeli Personna was the day I found the perfect combination for me. That along with all the other factor taken into consideration is what made the difference for me.

I would suggest to try different blades until youfind the one that gives the most comfortable shaves. Try not to change too many variables as you go through the blades in order to get good feedback from your shaves.

Raf

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

This is key. You could very easily find yourself on a binge of trying too many blades, and razors, soaps, creams.......that it becomes hard to keep track of what works.

so unless you are keeping a database to record your specific results........

Anyway, I think the Dorco Platinum and the Treet Stainless out of that pack are very good blades and comparable if not better than Derby.

9. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I tried that with LetterK's sample pack and ended up making hamburger meat out of my face. I was thinking I'd follow the advice of trying one pack at a time this time around.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Describe how you went through the pack. Did you change blade after one shave or shave several times with one brand before switching?

11. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I didn't go through the pack very well. I'd shave a couple of times with one razor, a couple with another. I still have 4 IPs (which I'm using until I get this sample pack) most of the feathers, and all of the Merkur blades left over from that pack.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have not yet ventured much of an opinion about a lot of things on this board but I will venture one here. I have interacted a few times with Giovanni at Razor and Blade and I have always had great experiences with him. He has a tendency to throw in free samples to each and every order he gets. He has said frequently to me that he likes to save money for his customers. He is also one of the most klnowedgeable individuals that I know of about the art of wet shaving, its a toss up between Giovanni and Miahel Ham on the subject of who knows more. He tells me that he trys each and every product that he sells and will nto sell anything unless he thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bred. He often takes requests for additions to his product catalog from customers, I know becuase I specifically asked him to add Isreali Personna and 7am blades and he did. He frequently adds products to his catalog. The shipping costs he charges are "actual" costs not the inflated prices one generaly pays. Try him I think you will like doing business with him.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

I think you will find a few of us here have done biz with him and have had good things to say.

I have not made any deals, but many have.

14. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for requesting the IPs! I decided against the sample pack for now because the Isreali Personas’ are working really well for me. I decided to order a pack of 10, go through those while getting my technique down, and then ordering the sample pack. The sample packs are great to have but I have a tendency try to go through them to fast.

Giovanni was a real pleasure to work with. I'll be honest; I was surprised the site was still around considering the reception it got when he first created it. Not only is it still around, but its gotten better and seems to be the best place for alternative brands.

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I have bought many things from Giovanni, he is indeed a pleasure to deal with. The shipping is immediate and he definitely treats the customer right.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

He did fine by me.

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Giovanni is always willing to add new brands of blades if he gets some interest in the new brands and he can find a supplier for the brand. He tells me on ocasion the supplier will approach him to sell there blades in the US or europe. This is the way he got to distribute the Sputnik brand, he tells me. So if there si a brand of blade you would like to try don't hestiate to ask him about the brand.

Currently there is talk over at Razor and Blade about adding the Dinosaur and Super Dinosaur brand of blade. Please feel free to chime in if you want.

18. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I am going to place an order for the big sampler this week. Can hardly wait to try out the Batman blades! :rofl

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Hay don't nock it there are so many different brands of blades, 41 at my last count, someone somewhere will come out with a batman blade.

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Just got word from R&B today about my third order from that company, the order will be free of charge since the item I ordered was not in stock. This will be my third free order from R&B. At this rate I don't quite understand how Giovanni expects to make any dollars. Ordered a travel version of my favorite razor a clasic Gillette Super Speed.