Missing a day. Good or bad

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Flatfish, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Some people have suggested that if you miss a day shaving for whatever reason, you will get a really good shave next time you do it.
    Is there any truth in this?

Personal experience suggests to me that missing a day will result in a difficult next shave which usually involves some blood.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If I skip a day or two I have found that I really need to dial my skin and beard prep up a bit to get the whiskers extra soft, but I have not noticed a more difficult shave.

3. geogaga

geogaga Member

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I had a better shave when did not shave for day or two. However, I try not to miss a shave.

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Alexy,

I agree that I do get a better shave if I miss a day or two. Working out of my home I often skip a day since I may not be visiting with clients that day. Say I'm lazy but when I do shave the next day I seem to enjoy it even more than shaving everyday. Besides, it makes all the shaving consumables go further. :)

5. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

If I miss a day or more, the next shave is always better. By that I mean closer and smoother than my already close and smooth shaves. I have no idea why but that's my results over the last couple of years. The only exception to this was when I shaved after moving out of ICU last year. I had such a growth of beard that the little disposables would barely cut the whiskers and I had to use 5 of them to get through the shave. It really was a rough shave.

This is true if I use a straight or a DE after missing a day or more.

6. geogaga

geogaga Member

I believe this is because whiskers are longer and longer whisker is easier to lift and therefore cut them and you can see more of them :D The skin is calmer as it has been resting for whole day more.

7. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I don't think it would be a bad thing, other than the fact that you're missing out on a day of shaving.

If you've had some rough shaves, it may give your skin a chance to heal.

8. aberneth

aberneth Member

I skip shaves when I'm away from home for a day, and I enjoy the second-day shaves as much if not more than daily shaves. After a week long camping trip, I had a grizzly thing going on. Shaving that off was a joy. One of the finer things in life, if I do say so myself.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree that a second day shave it outstanding. Not sure why it is but I am sure it has to do with the length of the whiskers. A couple days growth with a nice aggressive razor such as a Open Comb Micro Matic is wonderful.

10. I naturally do exactly the beard every 3 ½ days, thus giving 'time to the skin get accustomed to the passage of the blade ... we must always remember that every shaving the skin is subjected to great stress, and make every day do not consider myself a good idea! This' one of my thoughts ....

11. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Maybe this is another 'to each his own' situation, but I've experienced slightly more comfortable and easier shaves after a missed day (which is a rare thing indeed). Maybe this just doesn't apply to you. I can't imagine why, however.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I wouldn't say the shave is better if I skip a day. However, there are times my skin health is better if I skip a day. This is especially the case if I get a little irritation from the shave or a reaction to the soap/cream.

13. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

If I skip a day, I don't feel as good.

There is no explanation for that. For more than 40 years, I skipped days all the time. Then the devil pointed me to de shaving forums and, all of a sudden, I found myself compelled to shave daily just to feel like me. No, that's not right -- to feel BETTER than me, if that's not crazy.

Shaving makes me feel good.

--james

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

If you guys are anything like me, I faceturbate quite a bit since starting this little hobby almost a year ago now, and I am a lot more aware of what my face skin is up to. Even when I don't shave back to back days, I'm still faceturbating just to see what my face hair is doing. Maybe because we do this, if you do indeed faceturbate, we notice the difference even more, making the 2nd day shave seem that much better?

Just an idea. I think Alexy is onto something too.

Besides, we all know that faceturbating will make you grow hair on your face.

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1. same experience here.

congratulations. you just made shaving feel icky.

16. mezz524

mezz524 New Member

When i let my face rest for one day after i shave.
    It tends to eliminate razor burn under my chin.
    So ever other day for me.
    For a smooth rash and cut free shave.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I might skip a day or two only because I am too busy to have a shave . The shave that follows the skipped shave is always superb. Its always BBS.

18. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

For me also, when i skip a day, something that i do every week, my shave after is always better, smoother and closer.

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Giving the skin a day to rest isn't a bad thing when you are torn up from a rough shave. I took yesterday off as I spent the day hiking in the woods. The shave this morning wasn't any better or any worse then normal. All that happened was that I missed a good shave yesterday morning.

20. CraigarTA

CraigarTA Member

Well I can say that missing a day or two works for me.
    Back when I was in the Army and went home on leave I didn't shave on time for nearly a month and face loved it.

Especially when I got out. I think I went 3 months. Maybe has something to do with the natural oil of the skin or my imagination.