The Official Secret Santa Thread ~ 2010

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dridecker, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Secret Santa 2010!
    [​IMG]

Whether you celebrate Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or Christmas, it is fast approaching that time of year when gifts are exchanged, and this is a great way for TSD members to join in the gift giving spirit!

Want to join in on the festivities? Then send me a PM with your name and address, and using the ever popular Randomizer, I will assign people to each other for the gift giving.

The fun is open to all of our forum members from across the globe*, and to join, we do ask that you have a minimum of 25 posts.

The only person not eligible will be me, since it wouldn't be fair if I knew who my Secret Santa was. :)

Dead line for sign up is December 1st, and within 24 hours I'll get names sent out to both you and your Secret Santa!

Here is the USPS 2010 Holiday Shipping Cut Off Dates, and JimR's Guide to International Shipping if needed.

Being a shaving forum, the idea of course is to give and receive shaving related gifts, and a price cap of $50.00 USD.

After you sign up, head on over to the 2010 Holiday Wish List thread, and drop some hints to give your Secret Santa a little help. ;)

[​IMG]

* If shipping outside the Continental U.S. will be a problem, let me know and I'll try to work it out as best I can.

2. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I'm in! My first DE was given to me from a TSD member, so I'd like to send someone else something.

As a Jew though, I resent the name Secret Santa. You can put my vote down for "Mysterious Maccabee."

Hmmm...doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not sure if you are playing around a bit but, can we try to keep this fun and lighthearted? No one is trying to offend anyone. "Joking" tends to snowball this time of year.

4. ocharlas

Sorry, just messin about. My sarcasm tends to get lost online because I refuse to use smileys. :)

AAAHH! GET OUT OF MY POST!!!!

Seriously. Grown men and women putting up smiley faces everywhere? COME ON PEOPLE GET IT TOGETHER!

Ok I'm done. Sorry for the outburst.

5. ocharlas

Uh oh...hope I didn't kill it. Just to clarify people I'm just kidding, I only post in good fun! Join Secret Santa!

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I was just thinking of this earlier today

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It is all good; my cloud has a force-field.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I think folks are just pondering joining.

The price cap is a bit high for my taste. I know it's a cap (upper limit), but I'd feel horrible if I spent $20, yet received $50.

Besides, I already picked out my recipient.

9. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I am in Bill, this is a great idea.
    I love giving, especially around Christmas time,
    And the getting isn't bad neither !

10. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, and it may actually keep me from signing up. I would love to participate, but with things a bit tighter around the holidays I would only be able to afford a very humble gift.

11. wyatt46

I am sure most members would agree that nothing will be expected.
    ie; I spent $30 I better get a $30 gift.

Its not in the gifting its in the giving.
    In spirit of things...Humble is good.
    IMHO

I could be wrong though, the eternal optimist.

12. Batness

Batness New Member

This is sorta random, but on a similar topic...I don't know if I have the funds to participate in this, but I have several samples and small soaps left from the newbie kit Baloosh sent me.

It's not a lot, but there are some things remaining that I didn't care for and I refuse to waste. Can this be donated to the December newbie kit?

I am heavily considering signing up for this though, since surprise-ish presents are always the best. Price range is keeping me from signing up too.

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I'm sorta of the opinion that, when one enters into this kind of endeavor (online Secret Santa), you go into it with the understanding that you could very well spend the maximum on a gift ($50) yet receive something valued way under that ($5, or whatever). Conversely, if you can only spend a couple bucks on a present, that's fine if that's what you can do. However, you may end up receiving a $50 present(s) in return. "Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances," as my Grandfather used to say.

To me, that's part of the fun of it -- having no idea what you're going to get! I don't shop or give presents with the expectation of anything in return... I do it based off how I think the recipient will like or enjoy the present.

Just my 2 cents. I think everyone needs to understand the inherent risk (if that kind of thing is important to you) of sending a present and receiving one of a significantly different value (higher *or* lower).

14. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Thanks Jason. That actually puts me quite at ease. I may very well sign up.

I hope I didn't put a negative spin on this thread or the idea. Everyone should sign up!

15. Batness

Batness New Member

Hey if no one will be hurt about this, please please sign me up! I'd love to do this. :)

16. wyatt46

Holiday mailing deadlines approaching.
    This thread doesn't seem to be picking up any momentum.

:(

17. Batness

Batness New Member

That does seem true. I wonder if it's just because people aren't *posting* here though? I mean. To participate we sent PMs, so maybe there are a lot of people we just aren't seeing? :D

18. Hank

Hank Active Member

I sent a PM stateing that I wanted to get into this but I haven't recieved my secret santa person 'shrug"

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:) December 2nd the names will go out.