Is this worth restoring?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by ocharlas, Nov 26, 2010.

1. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

This straight was part of a lot I got on eBay for practically nothing, and I was wondering if it was worth trying to get it repaired. The blade says Wilbert Cutlery, Chicago on one side and ELK on the other and is in good shape other than a chipped tip. The handle I think is bakelite, and I imagine original. Is it worth sending out to get restored or would I be better off just getting another straight for the price it would cost?

[​IMG]

2. jnich67

jnich67 Member

My guess is that, financially, it's not worth it. For what you'd spend to end up with a shortened blade, you can probably get a similar, intact razor already restored and shave ready.

Jordan

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Those scales are really nice, I would hang onto those regardless of what you do with the Razor....

4. ocharlas

sounds good to me...What do you think would be the best course of action for me to take? can any blade be mated with any set of scales? should I look for a blade in good condition? Should I just be happy that it looks good sitting there and forget about it?

5. Utopian

Utopian New Member

I'm late to the party but that toe can easily be re-shaped. I would hardly call it a restoration as it would only take 5 to 10 minutes of wet grinding to round it off. If you want to use the razor, then it is certainly worth repairing.

6. ocharlas

cool all my straight razor posts are getting brought back to life!

I definitely have thought about doing that just don't have the proper tools. Would I need like a table mounted grinding stone? Isn't that how they make keys? maybe I can take it to a hardware store and have someone do it...hmmm...maybe...

or maybe not...