Walmart- A Recon Report

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 1OldGI, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

So my project for this weekend is to duplicate Steve's Own Stash Wax. On the way home from work my eye teeth were floating so I pulled into Walmart and while there I figured why not look around for the stash wax stuff.

Many of the ingredients were available but bricks of beeswax were conspicuously absent. My next trip will likely be to Michaels or a similar craft store to score a brick of beeswax. I also need to hit Salvation Army for a couple cheap saucepans to improvise a double boiler. If the my research and sources are correct, for the price of an ounce or so of ready made Firehouse Wacky Tacky or Oregon Wild Hair, I can home-make a remarkable quantity of stash wax that will be enough to last me for years.

Some of my recipes recommend 5 or 6 drops of essential oil. The closest I found at Walmart was small bottles of fragrance oil. I wondered how this stuff would work for adding a pleasant smell to my stash wax. Sandalwood Vanilla was particularly nice. (Possible Future Experiment Alert) Then I wondered what a couple drops of this stuff would do in, say an ounce of Dickinson's witch hazel. But I'll take one step at a time and cook up a batch of plain stash wax first then try some with the smell good. Then perhaps an experiment with a couple drops in an ounce of witch hazel (poor mans cologne?)

Of course I couldn't in good conscience leave the story until I cruised the shave aisle. I was happy to see they had a supply of VDH Deluxe but quite disappointed to see that the $1.49 ten pack of Wilkinson Sword DE blades was nowhere to be seen. I'm wondering if they're just out or if DE shaving has become a craze and they just can't keep the blades on the shelf. Last I looked they had a bunch of these.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Please tell me you are not talking about the fragrance oils in the candle section.

Those are not skin safe.

3. sffone

sffone Member

I was wondering about that myself. Where in Walmart were you able to find fragrance oils?

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Uh-oh.

I feel a medical emergency coming on...

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Disregard previous, the fragrance oils were indeed in the candle row. Thanks Queen for being my safety net.

6. Queen of Blades

7. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I thought the same thing before I read your post. Bwhahahahahhwaahhh

I also agree with Eagle, there should be an EMT on hand.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

From what I have learned, if you are going to play with frag's.. you want essential oil or fragrance oil, and the place to buy those may be an organic food store???

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

WOW! Thanks so much for the skulls up. I figured the absolute worst that could happen is that my skin would become irritated. I guess you learn something new every day.

10. Queen of Blades

And you still want to do the research. Just because something is natural does not make it safe.

I'd recommend buying such things online. Simply because you have the ability to research, and most good sites provide the info.

11. CSL

CSL Member

12. Queen of Blades

The couple fragrances I clicked on on that site said "not for skin use". Sounds like they have some skin safe, but I'd recommend finding a soapmaking specific vendor. That will provide more skin safe than not fragrances.

13. Griz

Griz Member

I have some pure beeswax. 1 old GI if you will let me know how much you need, I will see if I have enough to send you some as long as it is not pounds of it.

Will N.

14. swimman

swimman New Member

My wife loves the essential oils. I keep telling her they are not essential but she keeps buying more bottles. We must have over $150 of oils floating around the house. Then add to it the diffusers. Not sure how they work as cologne but some may be willing to try and report back.

15. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Bath and body works might have some oils and fragrences in the store or website.

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Wow, wish I had checked the forum before I went on my "Gosh darnit, I'm gonna find some of this stuff before I come home" run. I finally found a pound at Michaels. It was quite a bit spendier than I had anticipated but enough to make stash wax for the next 6 generations of men in my family. I don't get it. The boy will load his hair up with varnish to make it spike but refuses to grow a stash, let alone one long enough to wax. :D Oh well, one day he'll be old an eccentric too. The stash wax project has begun.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool.

Just follow the same "adding water to soap" advice when it come to adding the Vaseline - you can always add more, but you can't take it back if you add too much.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

18. Griz

Griz Member

Well, the offer will stand for you if you need some more.

Will N.