Colloidal Silver

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by voice940, Dec 29, 2010.

1. voice940

voice940 Member

Anyone else use colloidal silver for use on cuts and nicks? It's worked quite well for me.

Just soak a little up in a cotton ball and rub it along the face between the cold water rinse and aftershave balm.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hmmm, I've heard of silver for burn treatment...makes sense.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not for cuts/nicks, but nasal spray for sinus inflmation issues which it clears up very quickly. I would add a warning that overuse of colloidal silver has been linked to metal poisoning cases. No detailed studies had been done the last time I looked into this so the definition of "overuse" isn't clearly defined.

In short: use with caution and definitely don't drink the stuff. It's only been shown effective in surface treatments, not for whole body health.

4. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Silver is often used in special types of infection controling bandages. It works quite well for controling staph and various other nasties.

5. voice940

voice940 Member

Actually to my knowledge, the only effect of overconsumption (not necessarily overuse) of silver is a skin condition that leaves you dark blue
    depending on your opinion on having permanently blue skin, it's
    (pretty cool / pretty gnarly), but ultimately not harmful.
    But like ChemErik said - I wouldn't go drinking the stuff.

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Isn't that what turned that one dude blue?

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never used the stuff. But based on Erik's note, I'll pass.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Each person's biology impacts the level of certain metal that can be handled without serious symptoms. That guy's silver tolerance is extraordinary. At some point symptoms get worse - I can't recall if it's liver or kidney problems, being several years since I looked into colloidal silver to see if it was a good treatment for nasal allergy symptoms.

BTW, I've never heard of issues from topical use. Kind of like alum, it's good for localized topical stuff, but you really don't want to ingest significant amounts.

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

11. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

smurfy , very smurfy >:happy102

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

There were once a family called the Blue Fugates in Kentucky, or Tennessee if memory serves me right. They were all blue, but is was a genetic mutation instead of a silver ingestion that made them blue.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The holidays make me blue.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Absolutely fascinating!!!!!

15. voice940

voice940 Member

Some people these days theorize that Krishna (SP?) over consumed colloidal silver - many Hindu gods are depicted as having blue skin.

Also, regarding the safety of colloidal silver - remember that today's *really good* silverware, and most old silverware is either silver or silver plated. Silver is/was used in part because of it's anti-microbial properties, and overall safety... I'm not 100% certain, but I would also GUESS that the new tupperware type food storage tubs that are supposed to keep food fresher longer (it's kinda greenish colored) is infused with silver.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Silver was used in the old days to disinfect water, from what I have read they used to put a silver coins and let them sit in water. Today Silver Impregnated Carbon is used to keep bacteria from growing in water filters.

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011

:agelic13

18. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

:(

19. voice940

voice940 Member

Someone here sounds a lot like a chem major. :rolleyes:

20. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member