Brush Selection 101

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by 1OldGI, Jan 8, 2011.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Brush selection can be greatly simplified and made much more affordable if this one simple rule is adhered to
    [​IMG]

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ain't this tantamount to saying that only one kind of bbq sauce is necessary? While true, why? I like my badgers and my boars, and so far my least expensive brush is a badger.

If they can both be afforded, then why not? :taunt002

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

Awww, look at the cute baby badgers in that pic. I feel like grabbing them, dipping them in hot water and TOBS Avocado and rubbing them all over my face.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Denial is a step on the road to recovery.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:laugh042

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Unfortunately for you, those are American Badger which are a protected species. You'll need to find some Eurasian badgers for brushes. BTW, this is what a Eurasian badger looks like!

[​IMG]

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

I'm not afraid to use that one, either. Couldn't be any worse than what happens every time I try to shave with a straight.

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Why?

Why do you choose not to use a badger brush. Why do you feel a boar brush works better?

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm going to fancy a guess here and Old1, please correct me if I am far off base. 1OldGI really likes the feeling that he gets when he can take a very inexpensive item and maximize not only the value but utility of it. If you follow anything he has said over the past year and more, he really enjoys doing that, it seems. Cheap beers, cheap ASs, cheap soaps, etc. Not saying he doesn't have high end items, but I think he revels in his ability to use what is good while being cheap at the same time.

And 99% of the time, those "stinking badgers" are more expensive than the hog brushes, even though there are some less expensive badgers and high dollar hogs.

11. sffone

sffone Member

I had to laugh at this comment!

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Whatever performance enhancement one supposedly gains with a badger brush cannot possibly come close to justifying the price. A $15-25 boar brush has always been more than adequate and I guess high end badger brushes just kind of seemed like an unnecessary expenditure. Besides, the boar bristles used to make shaving brushes are likely a mere by product of slaughtering hogs. I can't imagine what anyone would do with the remainder of a badger carcass after they had harvested the hair.

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

They're part of the food chain in China.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Badger#Badgers_and_humans

"In rural Northern China, badgers multiply to the point of becoming a crop nuisance, and village cooperatives are licensed by the national government to hunt badgers and process their hair (Whittall 2003)."

14. CSL

CSL Member

Everything is part of the food chain in China............

15. poeraven1845

poeraven1845 New Member

This is a simple answer.

Badger meat is a delacacy is many asian countries.
    Hides can be used for hats and also some leathers.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I feel that my boar gives me an excellent lather. It whips up anything I throw at it only 12 bucks. I also see nothing wrong with having and expensive Badger Either.

you don't need a 100+ brush to make good lather. but they are nice to use once in a while.

The real downside to Boar is that they stink!. I've had mine for probably 4 months. If I soak it in hot water. It still releases a funky odor, I have to throw out the water from the mug, and rinse the brush again. The odor is not that strong any more but it still stinks.

The dry brush doesn't smell nor does it smell when you simply get it wet.

17. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

You know what, 1OldGI, I have to say I agree with you. My first brush purchase was a Parker badger, because a badger is what everyone was saying was the best. I learned to lather on it, then I bought an Omega Boar and have found it every bit as good.

18. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I've just never felt the need to get anything else besides the boar brush I have; It always makes lather. Although, I might pick up one of those Semogue Owner's Club boars, just to see what a high end boar brush is like.

19. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

my pure badger Shea $10 brush from Target isn't exactly what I would consider 'high end' and it works a good as any brush I have (including 2 from Rudy).

20. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Hey, where do you find these brushes in Target? I recon'd several local Targets but no joy. Are they in the shaving stuff aisle? Now that my soaps and creams are full up until the spring buy, I may just pick up a few brushes and yeah, I don't suppose I'd turn down a $10 brush of any kind. Speaking of affordable, locally available brushes, my VDH boar is quick becoming a go-to and when my SBAD kicks in full blast, I'll likely be hard pressed not to pick up another.