TSD cologne- worth every penny, times ten.

Discussion in 'Scents' started by aberneth, Jan 26, 2011.

1. aberneth

aberneth Member

I finally got my hands on some TSD english fern. I've gotta say, at any price this is some damn fine juice. This is near penhaligon's quality at a tenth the price. I'm definitely going back for more. Begin the TSDAD!

I'm having a bit of trouble making out specific notes. That's always a good sign that it's a well balanced blend made by a skilled artisan. The only thing that really jumps out of me now that I've hit the heart of the drydown is the lavender, and some wood/floral chord, flagrant with elegance. Fantastic job, Joanna!

Older, vintage smelling scents are the foundation of my wardrobe. What other TSD scents should I give a whirl?

scott wein likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Abercrombe and Fitch Woods type is very nice, as is Green Irish Tweed Type....

3. aberneth

aberneth Member

I heard someone talking about the original A&F Woods, and the tragedy of its discontinuation. That discussion definitely caught my eye. I have a decant of GIT, though, but I like it enough that I'll probably give the TSD rendition a shot when it runs out.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear you like the English Fern, Nathan!

So many of the fragrances I have for the store are awesome, but I am really proud of the blends I've created, such as English Fern.

5. aberneth

aberneth Member

Am I detecting a bit of anise in the heart? Something herbal, very striking.

6. Queen of Blades

Yep, there is some anise indeed. :happy088

7. aberneth

aberneth Member

This is a tough one to crack. I'm gonna be at it for a few days :whacky011

I'm no good at identifying florals, though. I can never keep their names straight.

8. lycidas

lycidas Member

It is strong or suble that lasts throughout day?

9. aberneth

aberneth Member

You can smell all day long. It doesn't have a really strong sillage, but it doesn't disappear on your skin. The amount of diffusion is just right that you can smell yourself, and others can catch a whiff of you if they come within a few feet of you. That was with a spray on each crook, and two at the base of the neck, which is generally my application routine.

10. I really really really need to get around to trying TSD cologne, aftershave splash, and aftershave milk. I'm super happy with the creams and soaps so I know the rest have to be great...

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Scents are very personal, but here are my favorites from TSD:
    -Aqua Di Gio Type. Compared to the real ADG, it's missing the ozone note and has a stronger, more natural citrus profile.
    -Bourbon Vanilla. Just what you'd think it smells like.
    -Bergamot. A high quality bergamot EO (same stuff used for earl grey tea, and what would be used in a high end earl grey).
    -Neroli. It's a FO blend designed to match the very expensive EO. It's a very close approximation and you won't find a better Neroli without paying for the real thing. A not-so sweet citrus and floral scent. The EO is from the flowers of a special orange tree that only grows in the Mediteranean.

12. aberneth

aberneth Member

Bourbon vanilla really caught my eye. I love vanilla in frags, it's very old timey (thing pour un homme de caron). I'm thinking about victorian roses and crystal blue, too. I need more spring scents. Aside from my quickly disappearing decant of Creed Windsor :)sad024), I have no other rose frags.

13. Queen of Blades

I can only identify the florals because I work with them so much. Jasmine has really got my attention lately. I'm even on a Jasmine tea kick right now.

Don't forget I have sample sizes. Bourbon Vanilla is very yummy in a masculine sort of way. Victorian Rose is very popular. Crystal Blue is alright, IMO.

:o As for the Creed Windsor; don't worry, absence makes the heart grow fonder. And, when you get the bit back you sent me, hopefully we'll have a nice dupe to go along with it.

scott wein likes this.
  14. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

LOVE Jasmine. :1respect

15. aberneth

aberneth Member

I'll have to wait until I order some english fern aftershave to get samples so that I can justify the shipping. Do you keep the oil blends in stock, or do you mix them for each order?

As for the creed, I may try to buy a flacon. It's still my favorite cologne, above all others. I've tried at least a hundred. Trying to convince myself that $650 for a cup of oil and grain alcohol is a worthwhile investment is the tricky part.

I can't wait to smell your dupe. Windsor cream, windsor AS, windsor bath soap... I'm buying a full suite of windsor!

16. Queen of Blades

The oils have to be blended ahead of time, so they can mingle and intertwine.

17. aberneth

aberneth Member

I figured that was probably the case, though you do offer the caveat that orders take 7 to 10 days to ship. I didn't know whether that was enough time for the blend to mature.

Speaking of maturing, I'm wearing English Fern again today, so that I get to smell it over an extended period of time. It wears very nicely even in to the base. I'm getting hints of cedar (I think), and the oakmoss is still very dominant (but not in a Eucris kind of way). The overall effect could be best described as "rustic log cabin in a forest".

I have to admit one qualm, though. It does leave a fairly heavy residue of carrier oil. That might be by necessity, though. I know a lot of wood oils and oakmoss can be irritants. Did you have to dilute the parfum more than is normally done for this particular fragrance?

18. Queen of Blades

I generally don't see an order till a day or two before I make/fill it. :)

No, same as any other. You are the first to mention this issue. Such feedback is extremely helpful. Thanks! I'll look into it.

19. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I must have this....

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a sample of the English Fern, other than that I haven't had many clones, but I absolutely love the colognes I have. My personal favorite was just added to the store. Commando Cocktail, which is Bourbon Vanilla and Key lime. I also love the Bourbon Vanilla and the Neroli. Awesome scents.