Forum Attitudes

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by TheCopperHat, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I'm sure more then a few of us are members of more then a few forums here and there. Shaving/Automotive/Woodworking/Crafting/Marine and the list goes on. I thoroughly enjoy talking to people with the same interests as myself and frequent a few paintball and automotive forums from time to time.

I must say I'm always more then impressed with the overall attitude I find on TSD. The willingness to help, inform, give away and what not. Maybe it's that shaving is the "Gentle-People's" pass time and that contributes to things. I just find that most automotive forums I make an attempt to keep my head down and run for whatever info I need before being hit by some internet bullying/crudeness and then get out as fast as possible.

Not sure if others find similar experiences in other forums. Just a rant of mine I suppose.

2. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I think the smaller niche the hobby is the more friendly the people are. Disc Golf is similar, except we all meet at parks around the city instead of online forums.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am glad that there is no hazing here. Some forums you have to get through a fair amount of noob hazing in order to be a part of the board.

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

no hazing?!?! they didn't tell you to participate in the dry t-shirt contest?
    man, things have changed since I first joined....:happy097

5. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Some never get past it, I'm around 5000 posts on a local automotive forum and it's the same poor attitudes as years back. I thought a big number in the corner would curb some of it but what can you do. It's nice to come to a forum like this anyhow.

A COLD FROSTY MUG OF CHEERS FROM ME TO TSD!
    :eatdrink004

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

This is certainly the friendliest forum I've been on. I think most of that comes from quality moderating. I'm not tooting my own horn here either - I'm the newest to the moderation team and culture here was established by the moderators who've been around from the beginning.

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

This is by far the nicest forum I've been on...and I've been a part of several forums. People's willingness to help out and give stuff away for free to complete strangers amazes me and it makes me feel right at home

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

If you want to see how thick your skin is go on glock talk and have a different opinion than the masses there, they try to tear you apart.

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

HAHA I will vouch for this! Just say something about how an xD is superior in design....

10. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I LOVE MERKURs (RAZORS AND RAZOR BLADES)

"as he waits for the gun fire: :happy102 "

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I belong to several boards. The TSD has been a friendly experience, everyone is more then willing to answer questions.

13. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Can't count how many boards I am registered on.. half dozen of which I hit daily.

Not a single one is as warm and fuzzy as TSD.

Hmm.. maybe fuzzy isn't the best descriptive for our group :happy102

14. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I belong to a classical guitar forum as well, and while they are civil, there is a lack of friendliness and the down-to-earth attitude that is much more prevalent here. I come here to enjoy myself because of the atmosphere everyone has created. Over there, it's much more formal and almost academic.

Sparky, the mods and all the other members have really created a wonderful, virtual barber shop here.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ok, that made me chuckle. :D

16. tibbsonaphone

tibbsonaphone New Member

I agree with all of you. I keep 4 forums in a bookmark toolbar, and I try and visit all of them whenever I open my browser. I've read a lot here, and I was just thinking how surprised I am, not to have come across any bickering, or what other forums would call a flame war. I can remember a thread on an Auto forum that escalated to shamefully "photoshopped" pictures of the other members car and business, it was at that point that mods finally closed the thread. At TSD, every reply seems to be helpful and related to the original post. A really great community.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It has got to be the link to badgers. Everyone knows that badgers are warm, friendly, and non-confrontational.

:scared001

18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I like it here at TSD because it's laid back. Everyone's not trying to out-do and out-knowledge everyone else. And when someone's wrong about something, they admit it and move on. And when someone needs help or advice, there's plenty of people willing to lend and give.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:sihns011

Coincidentally, I was looking to be PIF'd a 1903 double ring in it's tin. Anyone with any advice or willing to give, lemme know :taunt002

20. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Thats funny , I do disk golf as well