1930 Foldabrush with Gillette NEW

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Feb 4, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

My latest acquisition. It's such a unique and not often seen set, I thought I'd share it here. The set was actually manufactured and sold by Old Colony Distributing Company of Boston, Mass. And they put a ball-end Gillette NEW in it. Obviously the unique part of this set is the folding brush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sweet set! Is this an Ebay item?

I see a lot of stuff that you post and think to myself "self, you troll Ebay all day long, nearly every day and almost never see the kind of stuff Jody finds, what the heck?"

So anyway, I check both the shaving collectibles and the non-collectible shaving strings. Am I missing other strings?

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

C'mon Jody, saves something for the rest of us, jeez! :mad:

Just kidding of course, very nice score, again. :)

4. IAmTheJody

Yes, it's an eBay win. Not sure what strings you're using but I use a combo of strings and saved searches with specific criteria. I also buy from other web sites as well from around the world.

I'm doing you all a favor and helping you save your money and control your RAD! [​IMG]

Actually, it's tax refund time so I'm using that while my savings account is snug and warm in its bed for emergencies. People take their tax refunds and buy new cars, motorcycles, guns, jewelery, play things.. I'm wasting mine on razors I normally wouldn't be able to afford. ha!

5. truly extraordinary .... how I envy those who have it!

6. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Hey! I was watching that! Got distracted by a Occupied German Kodak Retinette. Curses, foiled again! Got the Retinette though.:D

7. dragosb

dragosb Member

I've seen it too on ebay. That's a real beauty. Enjoy it! :)

8. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I'm happy you got your Fold-a Brush! Sweet , isn't it?
    I treasure mine.

9. IAmTheJody

Ohhh, that's old school photography there! 35mm. Which model did you get?

Yes, it's a very nice set. The only thing missing to complete it is the very very very VERY rare Gillette De Luxe Kroman blade that came with it. Achim's set on his web site mr-razor.com has the blade. In fact, his set has 4 of these blades although the Foldabrush set was only sold with 1 of these blades in the set, according to the user's brochure that's with my set.

I wonder if I could get him to give me 1 of his blades? ha!

It's nearly impossible to find 1 of these blades much less a pack of them. I did see a pack on eBay last year but at that time, I didn't know what I know now so I wasn't about to pay $100 for a pack of blades. Now I beat myself up for not doing it.

Here's Achim's set, with the Kroman blades:
    [​IMG]

10. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I remember talking to him when he got his. I already had mine for a while. I wanted some info on it since I had just started collecting and picked up mine just 'cause I thought it was cool. Hey, I just started , what did I know. Seemed to me at the time a novel idea and it made me chuckle.
    Not when I realized after talking to him he paid nearly 6 times what I paid if what he said was true. If I remember he found his in Fla.

11. IAmTheJody

As I've not seen many of these sell, I really don't know what a good price is for it. I just know these sets don't come up often and especially not in this mint condition and with the original shipper box and user's pamphlet. It looks like to me someone opened it, took the blade out for use in their other DE razor and never touched this set again. So I think the $126.77 shipped I paid was, if not good, decent.

12. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

I think it´s a very good price for this complete set! I must pay 150 EUR shipped. My set comes with 9 KRO-MAN blades.

13. IAmTheJody

150 EUR is 203.72 USD today.

The user's pamphlet that comes with it says:

The Foldabrush Kit consists of new Gillette gold-plated razor, blade, refillable shaving cream container and the unique Foldabrush which lies flat in the Kit, yet folds into a practical shaving brush.

Notice it says it comes with A blade, not bladeS.

So Achim... what will it take to get 1 of those KRO-MAN blades from you? :ashamed001

14. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's very odd. I know there was a picture in the original post yesterday when I looked at it, but I can no longer see it. The picture from the Mr. Razor site is still there.

Very nice set, though, from what I remember :D. Apparently the brush works by folding the sections over on top of each other. What is that extra smooth handle for? Is it for the brush?

15. IAmTheJody

Fixed. Forgot I was rearranging folders on my domain earlier tonight. And speaking of my domain.. my new personal web site is live and I'm slowly getting my collection on there.

16. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

I believe the smooth handle is for shaving cream.

Attached Files:

17. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Kodak Retina I (010) 1946 - 1949 (with case) :cool: I've got a few of these. Fun. Kinda like the center Kodak (brown case) in pic (it's pre-war).

Attached Files:

18. IAmTheJody

My foldabrush set arrived today. Very unique set. You use the razor handle to screw onto and remove the plunger inside the shaving cream tube. Then shoot some shaving cream into the tube from your tube of shaving cream and then replace the plunger. To push shaving cream out, you again use the razor handle inserted into the tube and push.. like a syringe. And then of course there's the folding brush. Really like this set.. although it definitely is too heavy to be carrying around, even in a suit coat pocket as it was designed to be.

Also noting the images on the instruction sheet, this set only came with one NEW Gillette Blade (the lime green and white wrapper), not the Gillette KroMan blade. I kind of figured it only came with one blade since the instruction sheet said it had a blade, singular form, and not blades, plural form. The instruction sheet images showing only one blade in the kit, confirms this.

I'll be scanning and posting the instruction sheet in our TSD Razor instructions thread.