Funny how things work out --an Osage Rub story

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by PS27, Feb 5, 2011.

1. PS27

PS27 Member

I’ve been interested in two things for some time. One was to ask my barber what aftershave he uses for the neck shave. I’ve just started going back to a regular barber, the shop I went to as a kid, for about six or eight months now. Somehow after the haircut we’ve always been talking about other things and I’ve never remembered to ask. But I really liked whatever it was and wanted to know.

Second was to try Osage Rub. I hadn’t found it locally and never got around to ordering it online. I'm a big menthol fan so it was only natural I had to get hold of some eventually. Liking Barbasol Pacific Rush so much kept getting Osage Rub from becoming a big priority, though.

I do a bit of freelance writing, and do some wrok for local papers. I got to do a personality feature on the head barber where I go, a guy who built one of the first barber shops in a particular area of town and is 80-something years old. Of course during the interview I had time to remember to ask what they used for aftershave.

“This stuff right back here,” he said, pointing to a shelf way in the back of the shop. “Osage Rub.”

Well there you go. I’d been using it on occasion for months, loving it, but never knowing. Yes, he said they sold it, $8 a bottle. “And it’s getting so darn expensive now I don’t know if we can keep using it or not,” he said.

A couple of weeks later, after my next haircut. I got a bottle. Sweet stuff. Brrrrrrr!

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

You can get it locally!? :eek: SWEET!

I'm in need of more, so it looks like I will be ordering 2 more bottles to make the shipping worthwhile.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Osage Rub is very nice. I can get mine semi locally, about a 45 minute drive away... $6.75 per bottle. Carr Barber Supply.

However, with $10.00 flat rate shipping and tons of stuff to choose from, Appleton Barber is easier!

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I don't really know what it is. How do you use it?

5. staxchipswell

staxchipswell Member

Aftershave...this stuff is the best, a must have.

[​IMG]

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I slap mine on as an aftershave, and also rub it into my scalp for a nice cooling feeling.

It has a nice menthol kick, then dries down into a powdery scent. I used to put it on my face, but my face does not like alcohol, so I just splash it on liberally on the neck and shoulders.

7. PS27

PS27 Member

I use it as aftershave, also splash it on my neck and behind the ears at other times just as a -- well a pick me up I guess. I love the fragrance, and it's not terribly long lasting, so sometimes I like a splash just to get the aroma going again as well as the menthol kick.

As a rub, they say it's made as an all over body refresher, I haven't tried it elsewhere yet, but suppose I will.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I, too, just splash it on as an aftershave. The scent goes away quickly, so I usually follow it up with a spritz of cologne.

9. bllsttt

bllsttt New Member

Great menthol blast but to me it smells just like Listerine mouthwash. Not what i want to be smelling like after a shave

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The scent is gone within 10 minutes or so.

It's not an aftershave but I use Seabreeze astringent on my T-zone and scalp daily, and it is the only thing that I really get the cold refreshing feeling from.

11. DonR

DonR Active Member

12. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Great thanks for that link - I bookmarked it in my Shaving Stuff folder. I can't find the Rub anywhere and I am eager to find out what all the fuss is about!

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I use it as an aftershave, and I love it. It feels frigid and comfortable, with a nice light scent.

Ksblazer and RyX like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got my first bottle last week. I will be using it this week for my after shave.
    Wow, this is an old thread. Up from the grave...

Bama Samurai, RyX and PS27 like this.
  15. PS27

PS27 Member

I'm still lovin' it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oldie but a goodie. The thread that is.
    There are some places you ought to be careful NOT to use Osage Rub. I'm fortunate to learn from others mistakes in this matter. Adam @Drygulch tell the story well.

PLANofMAN, PS27 and mrchick like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That's awesome... It's so Barber Shop! I love it second only to the Veg.

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I am almost through my first bottle and I will re-order:)

Paul Turner, PS27, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi-I don't know if you're still here, but from what I've read, the focus with Osage appears to be how it makes you FEEL, not smell.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am three years into my bottle. I only use it on Menthol Mondays. I paired my OR with Fine Snake Bite today. WOW! It is an eye opener. Makes me feel great. @Paul Turner I think you are right about your observation.

Paul Turner and Bama Samurai like this.