'Nuther noob brush thread

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Wyowanderer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Wyowanderer

Wyowanderer New Member

I'm using a Klenze badger(?) brush right now, and I'm ready to buy a new brush. I've searched, and come up with no answers to my two questions. Maybe y'all can help.

First question:
    I'm interested in a high quality brush, probably in best badger hair. I doubt I'll spend over 70-80 dollars unless it can be demonstrated that there are real, not YMMV benefits to doing so. Any recommendations?

Second question:
    I go camping a lot, and I'd like to be able to shave while in camp. It'll be pretty primitive, but I have hot water to use. Any recommendations on a "travel" brush that works and is robust enough for travel use while camping? I'm not going to use ready made cream.

And many thanks to all for the great site. I've learned a lot already.:D

Thanks for your help.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I suggest finding a couple of vintage handles and having them re-knotted with a 24MM Finest Overstuffed TGN knot and also a TGN Synthetic knot.

Use the synthetic for travel (or at home) I have both and love the heck out of them. Total investment for both = $75.00-ish.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Do you mean canned foam? Sorry, I'm just not 100 percent on the meaning. :o

I'd recommend the Shea Moisture brush (available at some Target stores or other online retailers) for both questions.

4. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

How would I go about re-knotting an old handle? I have an old ever ready handle..

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have not actually done it myself... but there are a few threads around here that detail it a bit. It comes down to removing the old knot, cleaning up the handle, setting the loft with cork or other material and gluing in the new knot with epoxy.

It sounds easier than it is I am sure... which is why I still have yet to try it...

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I can't argue with JoAnna on the travel brush. The Shea Moisture brush is very popular. But I say treat yourself if you have the money and go a little nicer on the other brush. For getting the most for your money, it's hard to beat Penworks.

7. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

You can buy a turnback Omega boar brush from Shoebox shaving for 10.99. Looks like it would be good for camping.

8. Wyowanderer

Wyowanderer New Member

Yes. After using a puck of VDH and one of Williams, I doubt I'll be going back.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

High end brush? I'd go custom from any one of the vendors here at the Den. I've seen some of Rudy Vey's work, penworks, to name a few.

Camping brush? I'd go either the Shea Moisture brush from Target, as JoAnna mentioned. Or an Omega boar. Either way, if something happens to the brush, you're out no more than $15.