Simpson

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Gary Young, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

So what do you guys think of Simpson brushes?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I tend to dwell on the frugal side of things and while they are very nice well built brushes from what I've read, their just overpriced for what you get. IMHO

3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

They're nice. I like customs better.

I like brush lines that are unique and where any two are far from similar, ie. "arisan" brushes.

Edit: I've also found dense, low lofted brushes to be lather and soap/cream hogs and hard latherers. If it's dense and lofty, it's beautiful. If it's not dense and lofty, it's horrid.

I like me a brush like a shavemac silvertip or a kimson or a parker silvertip.

4. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

I have a couple of 'custom' brushes in my rotation as well. Always nice knowing that you have a brush that isn't available to everyone

5. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Sigh.

Simpson is a class of its own, obviously. It's a porsche line of brushes. The service is phenomenal and the performance is something to experience.

The best hair grade is a nice, soft, scrubby hair.

The finest hair grade has great backbone and is usually in dense brushes and is very soft.

The Super is the softest and feels like an angel's wings. It feels like best with the exception of the scrub feel.

I would stay away from the pure.

Sorry for not answering your question as you hoped for the first time around.

6. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

I prefer the Best grade of hair - like the scrubby feel which helps to lift the beard more

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've only had two brushes from Simpson. One was a Beaufort in pure and the other was the wee scot in best. I didn't much care for the pure hair. It was a nice handle, but the knot was a bit prickly for my tastes. I really enjoyed the best hair on the wee scot, but it was a bit small for daily brush for me.

Do you have any pics of some special Simpson brushes you have stowed away?

I would to see some rarities or one-offs if you have any around.

Welcome to the Den.

8. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Hi Dale

Thanks for the welcome.

Well this is the daddy of the Tulip and Emperor brushes....hope you like!

Attached Files:

9. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

And the US3 - we called it 'The Bumblebee'

Attached Files:

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gary -

Is that the A7 brush? That shape is probably one of my favorites. I had Rudy Vey do his interpretation of it as a present to myself for a year off cigarettes. It isn't quite as graceful as the original, but I called it the King Tulip. I'll have to dig up a picture.

****Edit

That Bumble bee is awesome.

11. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Its the M7

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. Here's the one I had fashioned after that design.

Attached Files:

13. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Nice looking brush - but then, hey, if it is one of Rudy's creations it is bound to be well made. He certainly knows how to turn a handle.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm sorry, but perhaps disclosing who you are would be appropriate. Google clued me in.

15. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Yeah I guess!:ashamed001

I am a member of the original Simpson family. Alex Simpson, the founder, was my Great Uncle. My grandfather and then father also ran the company (along with Coates Brushes). (Sorry!)

16. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Go figure. I'm distasted now.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Awesome to share the same forum with you sir. I don't have a Simpson (I'm cheap for the most part) but I do love this traditional wet shaving thing we do and your family has done a ton for it through the years. Good to meet you.

18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Should be "Queen of Google"!

19. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

It's nice to be here!:signs001

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011

Welcome to The Shave Den Gary!