Simpson

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Gary Young, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Sure. We're all here for the same reason, right? ;)

2. sas71

sas71 Member

just bought a Simpson Berkeley (my first) a few weeks ago and im liking it a lot. my last name is Simpson..wonder if im related. hmm ancestry.com? :D

3. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

If your ancestry traces back to Scotland then yeah you never know (cousin!):D

4. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Gary:

I have the Wee Scot and the Colonel X2L. The Colonel is my soap/face lathering go-to brush. I am starting to think about the Chubby 2 in Best. What are your thoughts on that for mostly soap/face lathering, but some occasional cream use as well?

5. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

My choice above any other Simpson brush. For the record, it is the brush favoured by all the men of the Simpson family, past and present. When Great Uncle Alex was choosing the brush to bear his signature on the handle it was nearly the Chubby 2 in Best that won. The Wee Scot pipped it to the post because it was such a cleverly designed little brush that can hold its own amongst the big boys. Every one, in my opinion, should have the Chubby 2 in Best Badger in their collection.

6. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I feel Brush Acquisition Disease kicking in again! I appreciate your reply. Cheers!!!

7. Slick Rick

Slick Rick New Member

I just purchased a new Simpson and really love it. Great brush.

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Ah, yes -- but the question is, Gary: How can one obtain a pre-David Carter (read: original) Simpson's Chubby 2 in Best?

Alas, short of getting lucky in a B/S/T transaction, or happening across one stuck in a cabinet at an estate sale or something... I'm afraid that's pretty impossible. :( :(

For the truest experience, just my opinion - it can't be a David Carter-era Simpsons, nor can it be a SimFix (Vulfix-made Simpsons).

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Can you elaborate for us dummies?

10. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

My family owned Simpson from 1919 until 1990 when we were forced to let the business go. It was purchased by David Carter with his business partner Francis Woodhouse. They ran the business until 2008 when it moved hands to Vulfix.

11. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

No, true, but the current breed of Chubby brushes are still following our original design and build.

Now if you are talking about where to find original Simpson brushes both my father and me have um, let's just say, a pretty large collection of originals - more than 100 and less than 1000. Some unique one off designs, some well known brushes, but they are part of our family's history and won't ever hit the market place I'm afraid!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • 62 GY.jpg
      62 GY.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Does this mean you have no more ties to Simpson, in terms of ownership (or any of your family)?

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

True, but still not the same "history" as an actual, original Simpsons brush. Oh to be into this hobby 30 years ago! :D

As well they shouldn't. Something like that as part of my family history, I wouldn't part with either! :)

14. My Wee Scot is my favorite brush. Does a great job with soap, and then steps it up a few notches with creams.

I have a Plisson that I have been using for 20+ years and acquired my Wee Scot just a couple of years ago. I split using them about 70/30 in favor of the Wee Scot.

15. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

No, none of the family has any actual ties to Simpson now. But never say never I say!;)