Best Chain Store Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by qhsdoitall, Aug 23, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

85cents compared to the 3 dollar starbucks.....and it beats starbucks in my opinion.

2. Quercus

Quercus New Member

This is a no-brainer. Dunkin Donuts make the best coffee on the face of the planet, no exceptions!!!

Starbucks....too hot, too expensive, and too trendy.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

SOrt of a Hijack

Dunkin DOnuts or Krispy Kreme

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Neither for coffee.

KK for donuts.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I can eat a dozen KK easy......so so good :)

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    You wouldn't happen to be form the boston area would ya? Everybody I know swears by dunkin (and it is good)

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

There's a Starbucks in my building, I never go there....they provide Douwe Eggberts free, so I drink that..otherwise it's homebrew ;)

8. caveman3

caveman3 New Member

Dunkin Donuts and Tim Horton's are both really decent cups of coffee. I used to make it a point to hit Tim Horton's when I routinely travelled to Canada years ago. Here in metro Atlanta there is a Starbucks nearly on every corner, and I hit the one nearest me probably once or twice a week. While I mostly brew my coffee here at home (Melitta manual drip system, French press, or occasional auto drip), I actually really like Starbucks darker roasted and more flavorful varieties such as French and Italian roast and particularly Sumatra once in a while, but I'll admit I am in the minority there. One of my friends used to be a Starbucks store manager and even she refers to the Sumatra as "hot liquid dirt".

My coffee tastes vary greatly from day to day and run the gamut from New Orleans style coffee and chickory to smooth and almost sweet European roasts (Melitta, etc) to the very dark and strong Starbucks styles mentioned above.

BTW, regarding an earlier post in this thread, while I understand the criticism of Starbucks being too expensive, and can almost see the point of "too trendy", how could a cup of coffee ever possibly be "too hot"?!? One of the main reasons I like the french press and/or the manual drip method is that I can brew it with water just off the boil at the proper temperature for full flavor extraction (195-205Fahrenheit), rather than the anemic 160F or less of most automatic machines.

No matter the source, type, or brewing method, I MUST have at least a good cup or two every day.

9. Zachster

Zachster Member

Peet's for me. We also buy their beans for our office coffee.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

There is only one coffee that I get from Starbucks simply because it's convenient. A bag of Guatemala. For some reason, they don't kill it and it's not a "blend."

11. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Joe On The Go...

Seattle's Best, but I have not tried it since Starbucks bought them over. Am not a fan of Starbuck's house brew, way too dark of a roast. McDonald's has a surprisingly good iced coffee and regular as well since they started their premium line. Otherwise, I usually go to the local coffeehouse and hope they have Guatemalan, Costa Rican, or Mocha Javan. @ home I'll auto drip Yuban, Eight O' Clock Whole Bean (grind @ store), or Folger's Whole Bean (grind @ store). I store my coffees in the freezer.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Dunkin' Donuts here. Panera Bread actually has some good coffee, and Wegman's does as well.

Starbucks I find ridiculously overpriced and bitter.

At home, I love Eight O'Clock Bokar if I can find it. Kona is delightful as well.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am also on the Dunkin Donuts coffee band wagon.

Burger King used to have a coffee called Turbo Joe...I think...it was decent, but not as good as Dunkin.

14. aubug

aubug Member

Dunkin' Donuts or McD for coffee when not at home StarBuck's way to strang on the roasting for me.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

DD, Wawa, Starbucks... what ever's closest.

I will NOT do McD's!

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You're missing out some really good coffee then. Miles better than any of those other places.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

While I have a local place that's my favorite, I go for Caribou or Ink! when I can't get one of those. At work I'm trying to stick to tea. I have a nice tippy Assam I'm drinking now.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Okay, then. I'll admit it's been a LONG time since I've had their coffee. Maybe next time...

19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I much prefer McDonald's over Starbucks. Good thing I guess, since the nearest $tarbuck$ is 30 minutes away, and none of the others mentioned are anywhere in the area....well, what's that place in Books-A-Million? It's across the street from the aforementioned $tarbuck$, though I've never tried it.
    Fortunately it's rare that I can't french press at home or aeropress at the office, soooo...

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

If I'm traveling, then we'll stop by a Pilot truck stop for coffee. If I'm going to be somewhere for a while then I may bring my own using an electric kettle and a coffee press. If I can't use the electricity then I have a whisperlite stove that I'll bring. It sounds drastic but I can't/won't drink bad coffee. When I was in Afghanistan/Kuwait/Iraq, I kept my team with coffee using that whisperlite and a plastic Bonjour coffee press.

I drink Starbucks Pike Place. I don't get the "strange/dark roast" opinions. That stuff is good to me but to each his own. If there weren't different tastes then we might as well die now.

I'm anxiously awaiting the launch of: http://www.facebook.com/anarchistcoffee