Anyone here won the Gillette Vienna?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 1, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

They labeled it a West Pocket, so I am sure that didn't help with people that have email notices. I was watching it, but expected it to go for significantly more. Mine is the only other one I have seen, and I think I paid double that for mine.

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Is that when you're facing North or South?

I didn't get it. It's been interesting reading about these here, though they're not on my must have list. I now know that the much less valuable German travel razors I have must have been patterned after these Gillettes.

4. IAmTheJody

It could've been the other way.. Gillette wasn't immune to ripping other people off and definitely had several lawsuits against them for patent infringement. Ole King C. may have invented the double edge razor but later on down the road, anyone could have come up with the 2-piece-handle design and gotten ripped off by competition. :happy102

5. highball

highball Member

I was the one that picked up that razor. Here it is with some other travel razors I have

Attached Files:

6. IAmTheJody

Nice sets!

I forgot to update this thread.. Since I started it, I finally got a Vienna set...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The straight is not a travel-razor, it's a corn-razor ;)

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

its a nice looking razor. how does it shave?

9. IAmTheJody

I've not had a chance to shave with mine but maybe the others have...

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The head is a typical old style head and it shaves like an old style. However, I find the handle awkward to hold. I have a large hand and the two different diameters on the handle are noticeable. I also find the knurling on the thinner top part of the handle to be insignificant and the handle becomes slippery when wet and soapy.

However, as a take it along every now and then for travel use razor, it does well enough.