New at Walmart?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JAWilliams, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Hello and yes at walmart. I was going down the razor isle and got the the blade and there was a little sticky sign that said new. I looked and it was pointing at "Wilkinson sword double edge razor blades". 10 stainless vsteel blades for $1.76. Didn't think double edge blades were new. But one person was asking what they were? Simply amazing!!!

2. dissdodger

dissdodger New Member

Probably meant "new at Wallyworld," which it is (or was, depending on where you live). That's all.

3. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Yes but the person asking was priceless. My son's teacher didn't even know what a safety razor was, That was good for a laugh.

4. brucered

brucered New Member

i've had people at work not know what Records were. when explain record players and vinyl etc, they just shake their heads :confused: kids:eek:

5. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Bought some and they are good for about 1 shave maybe two. Other wilkies that I have used from other sources were better.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yeah. I've had similar conversations about rotary phones, command lines, and mainframe computers. (VAX anyone?)

I bought a pack yesterday. Verdict's still out but the first shave was a little rough.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been buying Wilkinson's sword blades from Wallyworld for a while now. They recently (a month ago) switched from a plastic and metal blade dispensor to an all plastic one. New! Cheaper to produce!

The old blades just had numbers of them, the new ones are wax paper wrapped and have the Wilkinson stencil on them. They are an average blade with an average life span (2-3 shaves) The packaging and the price has not changed. The blades are the same as those carried in a five-pack at many pharmacys and outlets.

8. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I get 3 or 4 good shaves from the Wally World Wilkies. I have a few packs of the metal cased ones and a few of the plastic cased ones. Haven't tried the plastic cased ones. Compared to cartridge blades, they're a heck of a good buy.
    Not as good a buy as Derby blades are for me, but still a lot cheaper than carts.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Ahh the good old days. I remember 1200 baud and $350 a month AOL bills (when we ran out of discs for free trials).

Sounds like Energizer/Schick/WilkinsonSword now have their newly acquired American Safety Razor/Personna/GEM/Treet manufacturing plants tooled and switched over.

10. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh, Jody said "tooled".:D
    Seriously, though, hey Jody. How're ya doing?

I just hope Energizer doesn't get rid of ASR SE, injector, and cartridge blade lines. I like the ASR Atra blades a lot better than the Wilkie Atra carts. Plus, I want to try the ASR Sensor carts.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

never had the money for internet back then. first email I ever had was through a university terminal system you had to log on to. I think it had like 100k of storage space per account or something.

ASR is basically the only producer of SE blades right now. they'll probably continue to manufacture them for medical supply- I really hope they don't drop the GEM line. Those are the cheapest SEs I can get locally.

12. IAmTheJody

I think Energizer has already pulled the plug on ASR/Personna injector blades. At least for the retail chain anyway. Fred's Stores hasn't gotten any since September 2010. Theirs were made by ASR, the same thing as Personna just privately branded as Freds. I called Fred's customer service and they said it's a discontinued item since September 2010 because the manufacturer doesn't offer them anymore. So if Energizer/ASR is still making injector blades, they are only making them for the bio/medical suppliers like Ted Pella and Electron Microscopy Sciences.

13. freebird

freebird Active Member

Walmart here switched from carrying person de blades to the wilkinson swords, so I imagine that that made them "new" in their eyes.

14. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I wonder if Energizer will continue to sell the Schick injector blades via retail?

I hope so, but if not, I can always order from Pella.

15. Shavemark

Shavemark New Member

I've been using the wilkinsons since they started carrying them and I would clear the peg hooks of all of the packages every time that I shopped there until I acquired about a 2 year supply of them. when I use them in my redtip I get about 7 great shaves with each blade. The trick is to use a pretty steep angle with the redtip.

16. mike72

mike72 Member

Wow...were getting old now I'm depressed :sad024 anyone got any prozac? :happy102

17. IAmTheJody

What's Prozac? :happy102

Back in my day we used Ritilin!

18. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

They work, they're local and cheap if you run out of blades, the only drawback is they seriously lack any sort of longevity, 1 shave 2 if you're brave.

19. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Just be forewarned they may not fit snug.

There is a thread around here where some gent tried scraper S/E blades and the weren't snug in his 1912 model, the thought was maybe the razors spring was loose, then he got ahold of some Gem S/E blades they turned out to be taller and solved the problem.

Edit: Found the thread.