Congrats if you won this

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

To each his own, as the old saying goes. What one man deems worthless, another may deem priceless.

Congrats to the Buyer and Seller both, if both are satisfied with the transaction! :cool:

2. cyb

cyb Member

I personally can't imagine spending that on a razor, but I am glad some of you guys do it because I get to see the pictures and learn some history of this bloodsport.

What I would really enjoy is seeing it in person. And that reminds me of an idea I keep having, especially when I see pictures like this and read these descriptions.

As much time, money, effort and thought that goes into these treasures, has anyone ever considered having a convention? Something where we could all get a chance to see pieces like this and collections like jody's and jeff's, and see and hear from some of the restoration and honing rockstars like mycarver and glen, etc.? Seems like there could be so many different events and panel talks. I know I would attend something like that, but maybe I'm too geeky for my own good.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

They have such conventions. I've never been to one. Spend all my money on razors, can't afford to go to another state for a convention. :happy102

But yes, I would love to go to one at least once.

4. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

http://www.razormeeting.com/

5. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Jody, Jody, Jody. You're willing to shell out over 4 Benjamins for a DE but you won't do the same for a nice straight? Shame on you. You need to get a good cutthroat.

J/K

Sorry you got outbid on this one. Sorry you got screwed out of the other. I hate it when that happens. That was a nice old Gillette.

That mint Tech was mighty fine, too. I can't believe it went for so little. What, with the case and all.

6. IAmTheJody

Yes, that's the one. I can just see me trying to haul my collection from Mississippi to Ohio, and back... :happy097

7. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

what about hauling all the stuff you buy back!

8. IAmTheJody

That too! :happy102

I was skimming some of the price tags in the photos on the site and it definitely looks like a gathering I'd want to be a part of.

9. Shavemark

Shavemark New Member

Nice razor, but I just can't see paying that much for a double ring..maybe half..and it would have to have a mint case for that price. I guess if you have so much money that you need to find something to do with it then that's a pretty good deal.:eek:

10. Shavemark

Shavemark New Member

Not having a mint case..or case at all takes away from the the total value, at least for me it does. For something that nice the case usually is worth at least half of the total package....again....at least for me it does.:rolleyes:

11. IAmTheJody

Considering the one below sold for $675 plus shipping 2 years ago over at B&B, this eBay one for $432.19 shipped is right on the money...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Well, I wouldn't say "nuts." Each person has a price in mind for something that may have more "intrinsic" value to them. If I have a certain piece I am interested in and I really want it, such a price might be worth it, even if I never were able to gain it back at a later time. I myself have paid a bit more than I would have for several Sheffield-made straights. I just like 'em. All in the eyes (and wallet) of the beholder, I suppose.

13. Shavemark

Shavemark New Member

True and if they have the money I can't begrudge them a treasure like that, I guess it seems outrageous to me cause I don't have that kind of coin, well I do but there are more important things in my life that I need to be spending that money on.

14. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I just saw a cased '58 Toggle sell for $668 on the 'bay last night.

15. IAmTheJody

Yes, a cased early Toggle with the 1-5 adjuster ring instead of the 1-9 adjuster ring. Some people call them proto-types but since they were sold to the public, that's hardly the case hence why I call them the "early" Toggle.

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I do think that collectors provide a beneficial service. By collecting and restoring razors, they ensure that there will be more vintage razors around in the future. The price asked - and sometimes paid - for razors has increased by a stupendous amount in a very short space of time. IMHO that speaks of speculation more than intrinsic value. Speculation and price bubbles tend to be less than good in the long run. My take is that the current situation (feeding frenzy) benefits profiteers more than the serious collectors or even average wetshavers.

A perfect example is this razor, reportedly purchased on eBay for a few dollars. The current bid of US$547.99 does not even meet the reserve! For something little different than a Fatboy or Slim, that is a pretty steep price.

Being a user rather than a collector, I will probably never understand...