Recognizing a super speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Aug 24, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What are the characteristics of a super speed, not necessarily the type made by Gillette? To the best of my knowledge a super speed is a type of one piece razor where one twists the bottom to open the doors at the top and is the only type with the butterfly doors. There are other one piece razors but the supper speed is the one with the butterfly type of doors at the top. What am I missing?

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

jb - As far as I know (and if I'm wrong, someone will tell us:D) Super Speed was a designation given by Gillette to some of their razors made during the 40's, 50's and 60's. It was a marketing ploy indicating that you could speed up the process if you had one of the TTO(twist to open) razors with the notched edge to catch the blade and pull it from the dispenser. The razor was packaged with the new dispenser where you slide the blade out with your thumb, catch the edge on the notch and it's loaded. These came out in 1947-48? Just a catchy phrase that caught on. There were other TTO razors by Gillette earlier but they were not notched and many made since, but not true Super Speeds.

Regards,

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sounds good to me, Steve. :cool:

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Excellent info bronco, but what I am referring to is what are the physical characteristics of the super speed?

5. Queen of Blades

Ummm...Steve answered that. TTO and the notch for easy blade installment.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Are you referring to the characteristics of a superspeed shave?

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Yes. And thanks for the move. You are right is really belongs where you put it, guess I had a neural blowout.

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ok jb, I guess I didn't understand your question. Most of the Super Speeds are regarded as a "medium" shaver. In other words anyone can use them but if you have a heavy beard you will need several passes. Sometime in the 50's Gillette offered 3 choices (with the flared tip - thanks Raf): a light shaving model with a blue tip (which was my first razor); a regular without a colored tip and a "heavy" duty (for the heavy beard) razor with more blade exposure and it had a red tip. After this they came out with an adjustable. Even the red tip is not a rash shaver and anyone can use any model. It all had to do with the blades exposure. With that said, a super speed "type" razor is a general purpose razor that is relatively safe to use. It's a matter of finding the right model (new or old), learning the right angle With the right blade and the proper beard prep they are some say, a "great" razor. A razor for a man with average skin and beard. The razor that you just got would be considered a super speed "clone", a medium shaver.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Also, some of the SS's had a flared TTO knob. Meaning just that the knob was not the same dimensions as the handle but flared. The Red Tip SS I hav seen have the flared knob. The neutral SS of the 50's(the one that is all silver in color) also had a flared tip. My black and Blue late 40's early 50's SS do not have the flared knob.

Raf

10. Will

Will Nevermind

The Red Tip aslo has a diffrent design on the handle.

Pic is from JoAnna (thanks Queen), I think other superspeeds had diffrent designs through the years.

[​IMG]

11. Queen of Blades

You're welcome. :D

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Interesting, this is exaclty the reason why I am here, to learn as much as possible. I havea 41 Super Speed at home and its one of the moderate type. Did nto know that there was a difference. My beard is one of the very light types, so I guess that there is no real reason for me to use a moderate type. I guess the blue tip is really what is needed. Since the patent expired, thatnkfully, year ago on the razor many different companies have been making the design. Do these other companies typically use the same markings and designations? If I want a genuine Gillette Super Speed I will have to pay a lot extra for it and do a bit of hunting. The other companies are cheaper and easier for me to find and get a hold of. If I have a light beard does it make and sense to be using hte moderate type of super speed?

13. Will

Will Nevermind

It is all in the way you use it, I can get a good shave out of a Heavy Razor, A light Razor, a Long Handle razor.

You just have to know how to work your hardwhere. I had a 70's Super Speed, very light and a Red Tip Super Speed, very heavy. The shave with both of them were just fine. I think the Red Tip, Black Tip, Blue Tip were good Ideas but more of a marketing ploy.

14. paydepst

paydepst Member

JB did you say '41 SS at home?

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Yeup its got a model T under the hood. I believe that indicates 41, its got a black handle. Would post a photo if I can find one.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Here is a reasonably good photo of it.

Attached Files:

17. Will

Will Nevermind

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

This is the same make and model that my pop had and his was no newer than 67.

19. Will

Will Nevermind

I am 100%

If the T you are talking about is their it would make it a 1973.

20. Will

Will Nevermind