A Manly Aftershave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by lradke, Mar 10, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hi Everyone!

I am looking to add to my current aftershave storage, that includes Proraso ASB and .....well that's it. I want something that is easy on the skin as mine is fairly sensitive (preferably no manthol...as I only have negative experiences with it :(). I once had 2 demos of Trumpers Sandlewood and Lime Skinfood that were used up very fast...needless to say the Sandlewood was my favorite of those.

I am asking because I love the woodsy/musky scents, and I want to hget them because my wife has grown to LOVE them....but I don't have any. I am thinking of getting a bottle of Trumpers Sandlewood to go with my Sandlewood(like) soaps, but I am wondering what other options there are. I haven't tried any really, so I can really learn from your input. I am not to concerned if it is a balm or splash...I just dont want anything oily.

If you could please let me know what suggestions you may have, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you kindly!

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My absolute favorite aftershave for performance is that sold at TSD store (link at top of site). You have enough scent choices I think you can find something. While not woodsy/musky, the Bourbon Vanilla is definitely masculine and also very good.

Another choice would be DR Harris Marlborough (I recommended the soap to you in a similar thread) in either the splash or milk.

3. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Clubman Lime Sec
    Clubman Lilac Vegitol
    DR Harris Pink..some sorta nice scent though not strong

ST

4. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

The TSD store has several. Im a huge fan of JoAnna and her products. The cedar wood is very nice as is the bourbon vanilla.

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have some bourbon vanilla on the way right now. I really liked the scent description and hope that it is great.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

+1 on the bourbon vanilla. I have the TSD scented soap and the cologne-and am a total fan. I also consider bay rums to be a favorite scent.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Go have a snort of Jovan Musk after shave/cologne. It's an awesome smelling sauce.

8. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

9. lradke

I took a look at the TSD store and I am really interested in the Cederwood soap and AS. I'll deffinately keep them in mind and probably pick up a sample or two just to see.

Thanks for all the input. I am interested to see what other stuff people suggest. This is great! Thank you very much!

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

AV is manly as hell!

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Uh Bob, he said no menthol please...

:think002 Of course IIRC, you are a fan of the AV musk, right?

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sorry, I saw Proraso and jumped. Yes, I really, really like AV Musk too.

Uhm, so, yeah, I meant AV Musk :D

13. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

The wife seems to like when I wear Musgo Real. It comes in a couple of scents. Stop by a Caswell Massey store and ask to try a sample if your not sure. It's been a wet shavers favorite forever and you should get compliments when you wear it.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Luke, the Musgo Real aftershave is excellent, and it contains no menthol.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Tet-A-Tet Cologne ASB!

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. lradke

LOL...I should have mentioned it was for sensitive skin; and I am basing my experience strictly on the crummy experiences I have had with the few menthol products. (if the Sensitive Proraso has menthol...man that wouls be really embarrasing!:happy102)

I have ordered a few aftershave samples from Connaught Shaving. I got:

D.R. Harris - Marlborough, Sandalwood, and Pink Lotion (for kicks! And it should go well with my Wild Rose QED)
    TOBS - Sandalwood and Mr Taylor's Luxury AS

They all seem great, I can but can't believe how much is out there.

THank you all for your help! I will let you know how it goes.

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not really a scented aftershave per se, but I love the charred wood/smoky smell of witch hazel in the morning.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The most manly aftershave would surely be either bay rum or whisky. Islay whisky, hevily peated Islay whisky :D

20. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

Try Speick!