Your thoughts on Kent brushes?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GeauxLSU, Mar 12, 2011.

1. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU New Member

I'm still in the market for a nicer badger brush, a silver-tip. Kent has what seems to be a good reputation, but I'd like the opinions of those who own and use one. I'm looking at the BK-4 and BK-8. Thanks in advance.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't own one, but have you looked in the REVIEWS?

Hopefully you'll get more info from folks who use 'em but don't like to write reviews (like me :D)

3. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I use a BK4 quite often

Good brush for face lathering, marginal for hard soaps, but maybe a little pricy for it's size. You might also consider the Vulfix 41 in super badger as it's in the same price range and about twice the brush. I have a 41 also and have been happy with it for years. Be advised though, it is a big densly packed brush.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I owned a BK-4 silver tip for a short while, construction was nice and the handle felt good to hold, but in the end it was just too floppy for my preferences so I traded it off.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

If you know what you're doing its a great brush, if anyone claims floppy brushes suck on hard soaps, they obviously haven't looked at my SOTD lathering skills....

6. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have the BK8 and used it today for a wonderful lather. It is quality and pleasure from one of the best available brands that has stood the test of time. After lathering with the 8, I wondered why I don't sell some of the others as it was one of the first high quality brushes that I bought after many years of using several others. You can't go wrong with the BK8 if you like the larger Knots.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My BLK4 is my go to brush. It's a thing of beauty, and handles soaps and creams to my satisfaction.

8. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

I had the exact same experiences. It is a quality brush no doubt but it lacks back bone.

9. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Yes it is true they can be quite loose and floppy heads but they are well made brushes. Kent are by far the top of the tree regarding hairbrushes and pretty well up there with their shaving brushes as well. They have a strong pedigree behind them with proven designs. At Trade Fairs many moons ago it was always our intentions to make the Simpson stand more appealing than the Kent stand - friendly rivalry at the most! We always had a good relationship with them and always appreciated having a company of their stature and professionalism alongside us in the industry.

Regards

Jim

10. Fido

Fido Member

For us shaving enthusiasts the BK4 does lack backbone. The fact is that among general shavers it is incredibly popular. That's why it is stocked by one of the UK giant department stores, John Lewis. To the uninitiated the soft hair is actually the great attraction.

11. Gary Young

Gary Young New Member

Yes I agree that the lack of backbone can steer more learned brush users away from the brush but they do still make good all round quality brushes that are popular with the masses. Kent always managed to 'fill the position' of 'middle of the road' very very well. I am not belittling their shaving brushes, not at all, merely saying that they understand the market very well and know where to pitch their products.

Jim

12. Queen of Blades

I take exception to this. I am a shaving enthusiast. I do not feel the BLK4 lacks backbone.

The fact is people have preferences. And that has nothing to do with "enthusiast" nor "uninitiated".

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I dunno about the brushes, but my Kent Menthol Cream is some of the most luxurious cream I have used.

I dunno if Kent makes their own cream, but based on the Kent cream, I would be inclined to try a Kent brush.... except that they are super high dollar for me. I saw one brush at the place I bought the cream and they wanted $400.00 for it.

I will stick with my $35.00 TGN finest overstuffed knots until I win the lottery.

14. Queen of Blades

I got mine awhile ago, and while Kent offered TSD a special.

I think the price has gone up. I fell in love at first sight though :love029, and probably would have bought her even at the current price.

The shaving cream is tempting, but goodness that price! :eek:

15. gagarin

gagarin New Member

Well stated, JoAnna. As an enthusiast, I have many high-end badgers, including two-band Supers, and I use the Kent BK4 more than any of them. Utter luxury!

Regards,