[Q] first razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rsquared, Mar 22, 2011.

1. rsquared

rsquared New Member

ok this is my first post and first question.. I am sure i will have a million more questions as i get into this a little more.. But first things first.. For my first razor i was thinking of a Edwin Jagger De89lbl with some Voskhod Blades.. i have pretty sensitive skin and usually have ingrown hairs with a 3 blade mach... do any of you guys have suggestion on razor or blades... Even soaps and stuff cus i have no idea what i wanna do with those

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

First, welcome to TSD! ::git

Blades and razors are all "your mileage may vary". What works for one may not for another. I prefer BIC blades. Many people hate them. Same thing with razors. I'd suggest getting a blade sample pack from one of the vendors and starting off with a nice vintage Gillette Super Speed. Baby steps. Then move on to modern razors if you feel you're going to stick with it.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Welcome, the EJ and Voskhod are my favorite combo. I would suggest going through the review sections and see what the most talked about highest rated stuff peaks your interests and go from there building your den. No one will be able to tell you what your best razor/blade combo or whether you'll be better off with cream or soap.

4. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

I echo the advice preceeding mine. You can get an older Super Speed for a bit cheaper than an EJ. And I also learned just today that the Super Speeds are a little less aggressive which is nice when you are first starting out! And definitely get a blade sampler pack, I have probably tried 6 different blades so far and haven't yet found MY blade.

I think one of the keys in getting started is to try different things and keep track of what does and doesn't work for you. For example I use to apply a hot towel to my face before shaving, looking back now I think that actually made my skin a little too hot and caused irritation during the shave. BUT some people love that. So as challenging as it can be you have to figure out what works for YOU!

That said, don't change everything at once, try to isolate one change at a time. And be patient as you guy, there is a learning curve to this but I two months in I think its worth it!

I would probably also spend time reading everything covered in the sticky at the top of the shave school forum. Learn from the collective wisdom!!!

Feel free to bring your million questions, lots of answers to be had here!

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I haven't tried the EJ razor, but do enjoy the Voskhod blades.

I think a sampler is a good idea, but starting out, I would buy a couple packs of a middle of the road blade (moderately sharp and rather smooth). Stick with that blade for a month or so until your technique starts to progress. After a month, I would start working my way through the sample pack and see what works best for you.

If you are in the US and need a few pack of blades to get started, pm me your address and I will get a few packs in the mail to you.

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

:sihns011

The blade sampler will let you experience what different blades are like. I had the same problem as you with ingrowns and sensitive skin, etc... Unlike Jody, I can't use BIC blades, they hurt too much when shaving so I use Red Personnas or Feathers. From my experience, the Gillette Super Speed would be a good first razor as they are cheap and well built. This way, you don't have to throw down too much money and can just test the waters, so to speak, before jumping in the this pool of shaving.

And remember that there are many people here willing to help out. Just post your questions and the answers will (always) come!

Welcome to the site!:D

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Good advice on both starting with an EJ or Super Speed razor (others would work, but these are both solid options) and getting a blade sampler. Some good first blades are Crystal Personna, Red Pack Personna, Dorco 301 (NOT the 300 IMHO), and Supermax Stainless or Platinum. All are very smooth and moderate sharpness, which means very few people find them to be bad blades.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

Second, get a favorite beverage, something to munch on, get comfy, then click here.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Welcome to the Den!

Like mentioned above, usually it is suggested to start with a known mild blade. If you don't have an issue with pre-owned razors, I would suggest starting with a tech. You can get a tech fairly easily and for much less than the EJ89.

Where are you located?

10. dekatz

dekatz New Member

Welcome aboard!

+1 on the Edwin Jagger De89lbl. I am still sorting out blades...

11. rsquared

rsquared New Member

wow thanks everyone for the responses.. Im big into technology (im a computer science major) and some tech/gadgets fourms get nasty when you ask questions.. it a little nuts... But anyhow where is a good place to shop for razors.. i seen few of you guys recommended the speed razor, where can i find one?

12. rsquared

rsquared New Member

im sending you a pm.. thanks

13. rsquared

rsquared New Member

im from cleveland, OH

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A CS major starting off DE shaving in Cleveland?

See your PM.

And yes, it is crazy the way some forums get viscous when you ask a question. Hopefully you will never find that here.

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

So long as we have the current moderator team we will not allow it. So relax and enjoy.

16. rsquared

rsquared New Member

you guys are fast and helpful.. thanks to people who are hooking me up with some free blades and stuff.. and i happy to be apart of TSD.. i still wanna hear what you guys are using and stuff so keep commenting on here

17. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving!

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

Very Generous Dale! Way To Go Mang!

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For what people are using, you might look through one of the Shave of the Day threads like the one from this week (or the week I posted for someone reading this in the future).

20. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

Hi chap and welcome !
    As a newb myself I've found the free advice and generosity on this board overwhelming.
    My experience so far, for what it's worth, I started off two months ago with a Merkur Futur (too fierce for me at the moment) and Crystal blades. Didn't have a clue what I was doing (more so now thanks to this forum). Anyway I was way out of my depth, backed off and bought an EJ89DL, which came highly recommended on here, best step I took tbh. Along with the purchase of blade sample packs. So it has been a case of trial and error since then, some blades suit others don't. If I can give you any advice - its is read the forums, take advice from those experienced and willing to impart it freely and most of all ENJOY ! It's a journey that everyone started off uneducated in but all the knowledge and experience is available to you at your fingertips. I'm also at the very start but loving every step as I progress.

battle.munky likes this.