interesting local find

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by peacefrog, Aug 26, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

On a whim, I stopped in a local Indian grocery store today. Actually, the sign outside described it as an Asian grocery store, but it was all Indian products inside. They had several unusual shaving products. I bought a pack of Topaz blades (a bit pricey at $1.99 for 6 blades). They also sold nylon-bristled brushes branded as Gillette and as Palmolive (both for $5.99 I think), a Devang safety razor for $6.99, alum blocks (can't remember the brand) for $2.99, and two varieties of Palmolive shave cream that I hadn't heard of before: lemon (in a yellow box) and moisturizing (in a red box). I'll report on the blades after I give them a try. And I'll probably be back to pick up some of that Palmolive, and maybe an alum block too.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yes, I also have the Palmolive lemon cream, and it is excellent. It's made in India, and has a nice, refreshing lemony scent, and lathers like a champ, and also has very good skincare. I don't know about the other kind.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Cool! Enjoy your new stuffs, Bob :happy088

Did they have any aftershaves there?

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very nice pickup. I like the idea of a lemon palmolive :)

5. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

I use the Euro Palmolive and the Italian Palmolive and they both are great creams with nice scents. I have the US Palmolive which lathers nicely but the fragrance is not very pleasant imo. Giovanni at Tryphon has the lemon as well. I might have to try some of that as well.

Attached Files:

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Gee, my area has two Chineese grocers, wonder if they would have something along the same lines. I don't think the area has any indian grocers.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

If they do PM ME! :D

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I've got both. But I don't have time to track them down and peruse them. :( They're near work while I have Mexican stores near home.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

In DC you want Rodman's at 5100 Wisconsin Ave NW 202-363-3466 or Crabtree and Evelyn 301-365-1423. Or Knifecenter at 5111 Berwyn Rd Ste: 110, 301-486-0901 shavingsupplies.com

In Rodman's go to the back of the store then go downstairs then to the front of the store oposite the pharmacy. They carry a lot of brushes, creams and soaps down there.

10. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I've been getting great results from the Topaz blades. I'll write up a full review this evening.

11. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I have an India type store right up the street from me! Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have to give it a visit.

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Great review, Bob ::

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, now I have tubes of made in India "refreshing lemon" and "moisturizing deluxe" Palmolive shaving cream. Interesting - the red label Deluxe smells exactly like Musgo cream! Thanks for the tip, Bob. Unfortunately, I forgot you said they had alum blocks and since I didn't see them, I don't have one. Oh well...next time I'm at Woodcraft...

I did find out where to buy HUGE quantities of every spice known to man, not to mention rices, flours and fresh, though several were unknown to me, veggies. Most of the stuff I couldn't pronounce and would have no idea what to do with it. A little Indian/Asian food research is in order, I think.

While there, I also picked up a bottle of Patak's Mild Curry Paste. I don't know why as I have ZERO idea what curry even tastes like! Sorry, JoAnna, but it's true! It said cumin, cilantro, ginger and garlic on the label though so I figured it couldn't be all bad. Decent sounding recipe on the label so tonight's the night. We shall see what "mild curried chicken" with tomatoes and sauteed onions served over rice (basmati, I would imagine) tastes like.

New creams, new food - what more could a guy want?!

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What you bought is different than the curry I make.

Mine is Japanese curry. You've got Indian curry.

15. Will

Will Nevermind

:drool:drool:drool

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Just made some the other night. :p

But let's not hijack the thread. :D

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Too late. :rofl

18. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

When I was there they were on the same end cap as the creams, but toward the right hand side and down by the floor, so easily missed.

19. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

So talk to me! I'm always open to new food ideas!

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Wrong forum though...