Laundry Detergent

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Feb 7, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, you chemist's out there. Any ideas for a good laundry soap/detergent? I know this is completely off our normal topics but, with the cold dry weather, I'm thinking the commercial laundry soaps are a little harsh on my poor delicate skin. I have hard water but I have a water softener unit to help out.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I use the Whole Foods (365) liquid orange detergent, spiked with a scoop of borax.

A more expensive, but even better combo is the Dr. Bronner's Liquid soap spiked with borax :)

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, which one? And what ratio?

Dr. Bronners

I won't even go into the bar soaps I saw on there. I'm saving up for some Mama Bear/Cindi soaps.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Any of the liquids should do a great job, but my favorite is peppermint (eucalyptus also good).

Here's what to do:

Use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on the hardness of your water. Adding about a 1/3 cup of borax will also improve effectiveness.

To the whole foods detergent you fill the cap, and then add little less than 1/2 cup borax

5. Baron

Baron New Member

I use MelaPower from Melaleuca... it's always worked very well with my clothes and skin (I am sensitive to some detergents and get a rash/breakout sometimes if I use the wrong one)

6. ada8356

ada8356 Member

I tried Bronner's lavender in the wash on my sheets one time.

The main reason was that I wanted that great lavender smell.

I was very disappointed... although the utility room smelled good.

So, since it didn't leave the sheets smelling good, I decided that it was just too expensive to use a daily wash.

Nancy Boy also makes a laundry detergent that you might check out... I've been close to purchasing it before but have never pulled the trigger.

7. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

For the laundry, detergent is far better (IMHO) than soaps. Detergents are formulated to lift dirt & grease gently out of clothes and rinse away leaving your clothes brighter and whiter.

Homemade soaps are generally superfatted which leaves oil in your clothes (a real dirt collector and yellowing affect). You have to rinse with vinegar at least once to get the oil residue out.

We have well water at the farm and I always use the addition of borax to soften the water (even with a water softner) in the laundry.

If you're wanting to scent your sheets/clothes. Add a drop or 3 of essential oil to a wash cloth and throw it in your dryer. Another dryer trick is to keep liquid fabric around instead of using dryer sheets. Put some on a wash cloth and throw into dryer. Saves $$$ (so you can buy more shaving schtuff!!!