Mashing the brush??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PhilNH5, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I read about Mama bear soaps in the soap forum. I found the website and went to the shaving soap section. On the main page was a YouTube video of making lather from soap.
    http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=d8f25c3f2676afda29cfab9762efd730

the person in the video really mashes the brush down. Is this the correct way to do it. My brushes are expensive. I thought mashing them would break the badger hairs. I mostly swirl to load the brush.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    phil

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I treat my boars with no respect, I get pretty aggressive with them but my badgers I tend to be more gentle. I've heard that badgers can get their hairs tangled so I'd recommend the swirling like you said.

On the other hand I've also read that swirling isn't good for badger and you should use a back and forth motion, I've never broken any brush mind you.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

You're actually supposed to use paintbrush strokes through out the entire lathering process...

I can't get my lather started unless I do some swirling, I only use the tips and I never mash the brush into the soap, ever.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use, but don't abuse.

I swirl, paint, mash, twist, shout (well, maybe not shout) all my brushes. I just don't abuse. They're tools to use, not family. Use 'em in any way that will create a lather that you are happy with. If they fail, and almost all tools will fail over time, buy a new one.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Eh, if you need more than the tips of the bristles to lather, something tells me you need a better brush or better soaps and creams or even technique...

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am a badger pumping fool.

7. Griz

Griz Member

Listen to this man. He is absolutely correct. Don't over think it, just do it and get a good lather.

Will N.

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I beat my brushes like they owe me money.

When/if they decide to break or get unusable, I'll buy another -- there are FAR too many great brushes out there to experience! :cool:

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

The responses in this thread are hilarious

I will concur with all of them

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Boars that aren't totally broke in yet can't/won't hold lather very long, so getting more soap down further in the bristles can only be accomplished with a little aggression.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

12. sas71

sas71 Member

i look at a brush like tires..eventually they will wear out and will need to be replaced. unless you buy the $150+ brushes then im sure the care and handling will be a little different.

13. Jackliquor

Jackliquor New Member

I too tend to be far gentler with my badgers than my boars for the same reasons posted above. Due to severe lack of "disrespect" I lost the entire loft off of my beautiful Semogue 1800 boar (I would vigorously shake it after each shave and one day...plop - off it came).

Today, no matter what kind of brush I use, I will dry it by shaking it lightly then run it up/down against my bath towel. That does the trick.
    Andy

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Because of widespread shaving exuberance (aggressiveness) I try to by my brushes new. Then if I beat them up (I can be aggressive at times), then I only have myself to blame. Unless I know the previous owner is a pacifist lather maker, any used brush needs to be heavily discounted to catch my eye.

15. napoleon

napoleon Member

I personally don't really care if a brush lasts 20yrs with mashing, or if I take care of it so it lasts 50yrs:ashamed001

16. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I too, am an abuser of the brushes. I mash them to load the soap/cream into the center of the brush, them swirl and twist. I don't own a brush that cost more than 10 bucks.So far, very small amount of hair loss, and I've been at it for over a year and a half.

17. jcwit

jcwit Member

I can't for the life of me see how mashing any brush would be good for it no matter what kind of bristle its made of. This would even hold true for a paint brush.

I'm really into taking care of my possessions, but hey, whatever works for ya is OK.

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I continue to learn. I have mostly swirled over the years and have at least one boar brush that I've had for over 20 years.

So here's my thought. If I am making lather by only going back & forth, no matter how careful I am, it is impossible to make perfectly straight strokes. There is always some swirling of the bristles unless you lift the brush at the end of each stroke. This is easy to do when applying lather to the face, but how about loading the brush?