Path around house - advice required

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Flatfish, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I have a rough old path which goes around my house. I am thinking of either putting chippings down, slabs or maybe concrete. Any advice regarding the pros and cons of each.

Here are some I've thought of.
    Concrete - Easy to keep clean. Can get damaged by frost (eg my front patio)

Chippings - Difficult to walk on. Decomposing leaves which fall on it will cause weeds to grow above the weed proof membrane.

Slabs with chippings underneath - May be easiest option

2. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

What do you consider slabs?

I have used flat stones set into the ground
    Pros can be mowed over
    Cons grass eventually grows over them
    Flat stones above ground
    Pros grass does not grow over them
    Cons must trim grass around them
    Concrete is nice mine has never cracked but I used reinforcement rod and put in expansion joints and poured 6-8" thick
    I have not used it but I have seen textured concrete (brick stone etc.) looks very nice
    My next project will be a side walk made out of Paving Bricks
    The only other type I have used is to make a 2'x2' mould pour concrete into it and decorate it with stones and or hand and footprints.
    Makes a nice memento from vacations and a good stepping stone.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Even better, it's great to go to a military surplus store, get a big, heavy duty duffle bag, fill it with rubber mulch, and get to work building your muscles.
    Awesome workout, look up sandbag training info.

As for the path, seems that most options have been covered, depending on what kind of path it is, how frequently it's used, etc., I might consider a stone path, maybe with the rubber mulch or gravel around it.

6. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

I wonder how much wood chips would track into the houseespecially in wet weather.

7. Hank

Hank Active Member

I'd go chippings with slabs the best of both worlds just my 2 cents

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

We have wood chippings around my house. One main issue is mowing the lawn around them can be somewhat of a pain. As well if you have heavy water flow ir any of the areas it will wash them away.

9. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

thanks everybody. I think I will most likely go with a version of what Mr Hank here has suggested.

The path has a 4 foot wall on one side and the house on the other.
    I think I will put down a base layer of cheap mixed ballast (sand and small chippings mixed) of which I have maybe 1/2 ton left over from another job. I will then put down a layer of weed proof material. Above this I will put plain concrete slabs down (they don't need to be fancy in this location). I won't cement the slabs down so that I will be able to readjust, dig up the path, clean the path etc much more easily.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

be careful you get your drainage correct..