Which Boar is held as *BEST* ??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MikekiM, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Boar is boar? Can't imagine that to be true..

my limited experience with the two boars I have indicated to me the hairs are dramatically different.. in many respects..

I would love if someone more knowledgeable can give me [us] some details on this topic..

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Mike like I said, either Tieste or Bruno more than likely would know more, granted they never post here anymore but you can try them elsewhere DFS comes to mind... ick

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Well I belong to another forum that Tieste belongs to as well and I'll ask him and report back.

I sent him a pm on the other board.

4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Here is a friendly bump to see if there are any updates and to subscribe me to this thread. I was recently PIF'd a Semogue 1250 and I really don't think I'm using it right. I think I may be mashing it down too much. The boar brush is quite a different tool than the badger so it will definitely take me some use to figure this little piggy out.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Thanks for the bump. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a reply from the experts.

All I can draw from is my personal experience, which is not considerable nor authoritative, but I have experience with 5 different boars and one boar/badger blend.

First the boar/badger blend: Like Dale said back in April, this is a really great brush. I would like a bit larger knot too but even though that is the case, it is a performer pure and simple. The larger knot is a want too btw, and not even close to a deficiency for this brush. Since it is a hybrid, it is difficult to compare it to a pure boar so I won't really try, just take it that I really like this brush, for whatever that is worth to you ;)

Now, the others: I have the Omega 10048, a vintage Rubberset, a vintage Eveready, one modern Burmashave, and an older Burmashave.

The Omega is a really good brush, but a bit on the large side. The bristles are very stiff but the tips have split from use and have broken in oh so nicely. They are all long and strong and it never really sheds.

The vintage ones are both banded boar. They are stiff and nearly transluscent from age but still work very well. I imagine though that if I went to working them without a little soak time that they would break quite easily. I have no facts to back the breakage idea up; it's just a feeling. They are not breaking in and the tips on either of the two are not splitting yet. I'm still using them with great results, they just aren't splitting.....yet. I'm going to use them until they can't be used any longer which there is no end in sight, so I'm counting on them splitting at some point, I just don't know when.

The 10+ year old Burmashave, I gifted to my dad, and it was truly a thing of wonder. It was my first brush and it was (and I believe still is) a solid performer. The bristles on it are much shorter than the 48 but the bloom on it is a wonderous thing especially juxtaposing the 48 which has no bloom at all. It is nice and symmetrical and is still what I know a boar brush can be; I will measure my love for any boar brush off of this. It is my standard.

The modern Burmashave is crap. It sheds like a cat on velvet. The bristles are all unbloomed and non-symmetrical. I gave it to my kids so they can learn how to use a brush and soap. Actually, they are probably due to move past it now. It is essentially crap.

All of the brushes' bristles have their own character. The vintage ones seem to be the most similar though but that could be an age thing.....

So basically I'm advocating that there are indeed different characteristics of the bristles even if there aren't any bonafide grade differences.

It does make sense though that there would be differences in texture, ridgidity of shaft, etc depending on where the hairs were taken from the pig.

Judging by the smell of the pig brushes, I'd swear I know where they got the hairs from.......:taunt005:

Dridecker likes this.
  6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Bob it's kinda tough for me to get an idea on how you feel about the new Burmashave brush, next time don't hold back your true feelings! :happy097:

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    and down to get the friction on?

Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head.

Waate likes this.
  8. battle.munky

:) I thought I was being gentle too.

:happy097: Man, I did say that didn't I? I guess some people have Freudian slips, well, that was a Sir-Mixalosian slip. @2:25

@2:25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY84MRnxVzo

Shake that healthy butt. Priceless! Damn those silicone parts, I say. Red beans and rice did miss her.

Holla, 1-900-mixalot

9. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Yes, the Burma brush is still my daily go to brush. And, you are correct, the bloom is a thing of beauty. I plan to rinse all three of my brushes in a cup of vinegar to strip any residue. Anxious to find out how they will bloom being stripped of the heavy residue. This will be the first time that I have cleaned any brush. I always figured that they were clean. Afterall, I only use soap or cream on them. Then, I noticed the scum build up on the razors and the sink. Here goes nothing.........

10. battle.munky

I'm sure it'll be fine Dad. I'd done it a few times. You'll have to post a pick so people can see the anomaly which is that lone Burmashave brush.

11. southernscribbler

from left to right hjm boar, shea moisture burma shave

brushes.JPG

12. battle.munky

Nice an fluffy post vinegar stripping?

Looks as good as it did when I let you have it. Great brush, I wish the other one I got was as good.

13. southernscribbler

Yes, it's holding up nicely. VERY rare that it ever sheds. Now, the hjm looks like a beat up old crusty alley cat when it gets wet. The "Driedecker" is used for certain creams due to the ability to load a full bowl of cream in the bristles. It's unreal!

14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I just bought an Omega 48, it is a great brush. Check my chronicles on Piggy 48.

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I know I'm very late to the party, but here is the absolute best version of that song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gW6yQZyx5w

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very good version Erik.

Check out the Richard Cheese lounge version of the song.

It's another quality offering.

17. SOS

SOS Member

I own the Omega 31025, Omega 10049, Semogue 830, and the SOC. The Semogues have the same bristle, both Omegas have different bristle from each other and the Semogues. I don't know if they (omega and semogue) source the bristle from different suppliers or if goes through a treatment process but there are noticeable differences. The Semogues and the Pro49 are great brushes, different from each other but they do a outstanding job of lathering. I'm currently looking at the Semogue 610 just to see what difference might exist between the Premium boar and Best boar.

18. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

My almost-daily brush is the Omega 10066. It is an incredible workhorse with a price tag well under $10. So you can have a different one for each day of the week, if you're into the whole brush rotation & drying out thing.
    I also have an Omega 48, which I use when I want to paint my entire body, plus most of the bathroom.
    I also have a Wilkinson Sword Boar brush which was my daily brush for almost 20 years. It is mostly retired now, after two decades of meritorious service.

19. El Dingo Satanico

El Dingo Satanico New Member

I used the 24mm Omega boar knot from TGN on an Anchorset restore. After you get it broken in, it's a sublime boar brush.

20. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Count me in as a big fan of the Omega paint brush.

[​IMG]

As well as the Omega 49.

[​IMG]

I suspect that the Paint Brush and the 49 use the same knot; at least they look the same to me.