A 1920s Gillette wearing a tuxedo! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I do like hematite.

2. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Now, that's what I'd like to do with my Merkur HD Slant and my unplated Gem Junior.
    Very nice. I'm sorry to hear you had to sell off your collection. When did that happen? I must have missed the sale.

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

Very Nice! As I go looking for razors that need a replating..........

4. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

SAAAWEEETTTT!!!! I love that look.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very nice. Black nickel is more expensive, but worth it! :happy096

6. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

Jody that looks awesome. Great choice on giving an old razor new clothes!

7. Tforc

Tforc Member

sweet

Reminds me of black chrome. Was the old plating removed?
    Thanks
    B

8. MarkStar

MarkStar Well-Known Member

Another beautiful job done to my favorite razor! :happy096

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Thanks! ::git

Thanks. Yeah, you've been MIA. Good to see you again! Mom passed away and we found out she had no burial insurance. So I had to do the responsible thing to pay my share of the funeral bills.

Thanks guys! ::git

Tforc, yes, when any company does a re-plate, they strip the old plating off and a dip in acid to remove any dirt and oils.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'll add my compliments to the list. Great looking' razor! :happy088:happy088

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Looks nicely done!

BTW, what are you doing using a Simpson Duke 1, name brand brushes are heresy around here! :happy102

12. IAmTheJody

Thank you both!

A purchase my dad made for me this week along with the Omega razor/brush stands in the photos. I've been lucky to get 2 new brushes within the last 2 weeks.. the Simpsons and a Semogue 620 Boar. I never buy brushes because I love my 2 vintage restored brushes... a "HardRight" 'black and butterscotch' color with TGN 20mm Finest badger hair knot and a "Fuller" 'black and cream' color with TGN 22mm Super badger hair knot. So this is a big step for me to have new brushes. :)

13. Sodapopjones

Well Jody looks like your Father did well, its hard to get any model of Simpson with near perfect stampings, sticker and knot. I will say though, you will be surprised at the longevity of the Best in that brush, even after a year of hard use it will look as it did today. ;)

Back on track, plating wise, the only other plating I've seen done well was Bob's, I wish he still did the anodized black handles with the nickle plated "New" heads.

14. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

That is super sexy Jody

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is one handsome razor. :)

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You are making me wish I'd have done the same with mine now Jody. Mine has the way too often present crack though. Kinda makes me treat it as user grade and not put any money into it.

Looks great though.

17. IAmTheJody

I'm doing my best to break the Duke in. Right now, it's the worst brush I have. lol! It's very scritchy scratchy which isn't a problem on my face but on my neck it doesn't feel good at all.

Bob told me he sends his pieces off to be re-plated by someone else. He never did say who though.

Thanks guys! :)

Thanks! If it's a small hairline fracture and a razor you actually use, I'd suggest getting it done at least in the cheapest basic nickel. I'd really have to love the razor to spend the money on anything more expensive such as gold, black nickel or rhodium. Fractures in razors this old are usually stable and won't move anymore unless you're just rough with it - and as I understand it, the new plating makes it even stronger.

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Word for word.

19. Napaman661

Napaman661 New Member

Amazing rework of an old razor, I believe that the old things were made better and last long then anything we get today.

20. Sodapopjones

Lol you're the first person I hear call the best scritchy scratchy, indeed there's slight scritch in those knots.

Back to the razor plating, yeah I believe Bob just uses someone local, but its been some time since I paid attention.