Feather AC Experience/Discussion

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, Aug 27, 2007.

1. xChris

xChris Member

So, this thread is to review and discuss the Feather brand of "straight razors" -- AC, RG, ACD-N.

For about a week, I've been trying out a Feather ACD-N. I didn't want to make a traditional review, as I felt I didn't have enough data to make a true opinion/review of this razor. However, I wanted to share my experience thus far with the community.

As you know, I'm heading up a SER Trial for those that are curious about using a SER for wetshaving, but aren't ready to make the commitment in equipment and time to learn it. If you've read that thread, then you've seen some of the struggles by accomplished DE users as they try to adjust to the SER style and techniques. Well, I can say that I am definitely having parallel struggles with this ACD-N! :: At this time, I will say it is a poor fit for giving me a superior and clean wet shave.

As best as I can tell right now, the Feather ACD-N is an injector razor with a sideways handle and no safety bar. :shocked029 I tried using techniques that I use with traditional straights; this gave me cuts, weepers, and facial soreness (UGH!). :mad: I then started realizing that I got safer results if I treated it like a DE, but with no safety bar in front of the blade (for stretching), I wasn't getting close shaves; I'd then try to improve the closeness and get weepers and/or razor burn.

I would say that the Feather mystique was a bit of a letdown for me too. I had never commented on the "flaming threads" elsewhere arguing whether a Feather AC or a traditional straight razor was better than the other -- I just didn't have the experience. I can say emphatically, for me, that a traditional straight razor is superior. I get much more comfortable and closer shaves with a traditional. I can also say that I've used straight razors that were just as sharp :shocked002 (without being harsh) as the Feather Pro blade that I used in the ACD-N (this was my first-ever Feather brand blade, BTW).

The final straw in my inital trial came today when my wife pointed out that I had bled onto my white t-shirt that I was wearing. She said, "Are you still using that Feather razor?!?! Use something else because that's not working for you; look at all the bloodspots on your face and neck!" So, I have a Merkur Progress with a fresh IP (first time with this blade brand too) standing by for tomorrow. :cool:

So, I'd like to hear more of the community's experience with these razors, and I could sure use some suggestions for the next time I tackle it.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Baloosh has had some working with this.

Also did you see Rusty Blades video?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rh9hTuDBKU[/ame]

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

That video made me want to pick up a Feather. I hold my str8 with the scales straight out in this fashion on certain parts of my face.

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yep, I've been using the ACD-N for a few months now, albeit admittedly only on weekends, since it takes me a LONG time to shave using it. But man, what a luxurious and almost trance-like state of mind I achieve! It's one of those pure "in the moment" Zen states that totally relaxes me. Imagine that... I find myself looking forward to the days I can use my ACD-N and spend a good 35 to 45 minutes lost in the shave itself, with nothing else going on around me.

I've dabbled in traditional straight razors now for a couple weeks, and had almost a year of DE use, and my days with the ACD-N straight (using Pro Guard blades still... haven't worked up the nerve yet to try either of the other two kinds of blades) take the lightest touch and the most precise angle by FAR. But when it works, it's magical.

I'm really digging my ACD-N (in case you couldn't tell) ;). Rusty's video (which Will links above) gave me a good reference point, but there's no way I can get it to "roll" around and down my chin like he does in the N/S pass. I have to take VERY short and VERY deliberate strokes to achieve BBS. It's an arduous journey when I shave with it, but MAN is it ever a great feeling during the shave, and especially after the shave! :cool: (Here's where I'd insert the Yin Yang symbol, if we had that smiley.)

5. xChris

xChris Member

Will--
    Thanks for the reminder on Richard's video; I saw it when he first posted it, but forgot about reviewing it when I started out this week. Two things that I saw right away:
    • no significant stretching -- at least not compared to what I do with a trad. straight
    • He appears to be using a more obtuse angle than I was

Isaac--
    I too sometimes hold the scales straight out, and that made the ACD-N appeal to me too.

Jason--
    I'd like some of that "magic" and Zen. Looks like, though, I may relegate this razor to once-in-awhile or weekend use to allow sufficient time for a safe & comfortable shave. :(

6. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Agreed. I'd rather have one or so days a week of great mind frame and great shave, than multiple days of less-than-stellar state of mind and tore up face. :eek:

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I just bought the Feather AC RG. Where is the cheapest place for blades?

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good luck with that thing :D

As for the blades, Are you looking to try all of them, or just the pro-guard?

9. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I want the sharpest, most aggressive blade.

10. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I can't be of any help here... never used one.

............................ [​IMG]

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

To the best of my knowledge, the "Super Pro" is the sharpest and longest lasting edge......and I don't think I've seen them cheaper than at Classic Shaving (20pack for $11)

slim6596 likes this.
  12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

never have, never will...I just did not see any advantage to this razor.

Raf

13. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Thanks Joe.

Before I used straights, I used a Sanguine *gasp* razor. I know they aren't recommended in any forum anywhere but I wanted to get used to the straight razor motion. I have to say, I got fantastic shaves from it. When I did start using straight razors, my transition was seemless. I got BBS shaves within the first 2-3 shaves. I thought the cheap design was severely flawed and the blades didn't keep their edge. I figure the vaunted Feather razor is a better Sanguine razor.

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I'm glad they work for you. I just made a decision early on that if I was going to use a straight then that was my goal.

Raf

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So far so good on the Feather ACD-N. I'm using the Pro Guard blades and wil work my way up to the Super Pros? Since I'm primarily a DE shaver, this razor is not too far a stretch for me, except the skin that is. Will continuing learning. Right now, I'm practicing opposite hand shaving.

16. jnich67

jnich67 Member

+1

For me, there's just no point in a disposable.

Jordan

17. xChris

xChris Member

Just so happens, I shaved with my ACD-N today. This shave went much better than previous attempts. I have two theories for this--
    1. The first blade in my injector was bad, and I got tore up from that
    2. I have been using a DE for the last couple of weeks, and that reinforced the technique needed with a DE, or in my case the ACD-N, as opposed to the technique for a traditional straight.
    I am using the Feather Pro blades -- no guard and shorter than the Pro Supers. I also used a bigger angle for the shave than I did before. That was one of the things that I observed from Rustyblade's video (embedded above), and it apparently helped. I still have to remind myself of a "light" touch, though. I did manage to give myself some weepers and a slight razor burn trying to get total BBS.

18. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I have a friend in Japan that's trying to get me a new Feather AC DX for $75 shipped!!! :D They go for $200 on classicshaving.com.

19. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I'm a believer!

My shave today with the AC RG is what I imagined shaving with a traditional straight would've been like.. if I had ever learned to strop properly. You know those Edge shaving gel commercials where the guy has his face massaged by a woman's hand because it's so smooooth. That's me and SWMBO. :D

The interesting thing was that I felt more comfortable when I straightened the razor out completely - giving it the AC DX look. It was so easy to shave that way. Until I get the real DX, I'm going to probably tape the RG so it stays elongated. I just have to work on the chin. This is definitely my new favorite razor.::

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Sweet :happy088 Glad its working well for you, Telly :D