Feather AC Experience/Discussion

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jfrancisco

jfrancisco New Member

I have been shaving with a Feather now for about 18 months and once I got the technique down it became my number one go to razor. Probably the biggest lesson I had to learn, besides the horizontal cutting motion that gave me quite the reputation around school, was that it was ok to finish my shave with a DE. While I was learning, I had problems shaving the lower neck. Things improved when I gave myself permission to finish the shave with a gentle DE if the shave started going wrong (cut/nicked myself). This prevented me from tearing myself up too badly and taking several days to heal. Everyday got progressively better, being able to get further along in my shave, changing to a DE when I would cut myself. It became a game with the end result of having mastered shaving with a straight razor.

Advice . . . take it slow. It took me months to master, but then again I am in a career where a nice training scar ::duel across my cheek would not work too well, so take your time. I've recently switched to using a Merkur DE, but that is only because my schedule right now is SO hectic that I can't take the time to enjoy a nice leisurely shave. Maybe in a couple of weeks . . . :bounce015

2. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Thanks!

My only issues are the jawline and chin. I can get the jawline BBS but I have to really slow the shave down. Right now, I use a DE to finish the chin off. I'm definitely making progress though. I want BBS shaves to be easy. I get it with a DE but the BBS doesn't last as long compared to a Feather BBS shave. In two shaves, I've only had 2 cuts per shave and moderate razor burn. Hopefully, it works out because I'd like it to be my go-to razor.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Feather ACD-N ACR-N Non Folding Straight

OK, I know a number of you have been using the Feather Non Folding Straight Razors. The ACD-N and the ACR-N Models. I'm using the ACD-N model almost on a daily basis now for my first pass. Rumor has it that a str8 is headed my way to help me vary the rotation. But, that's another story.

I find that using the ACD-N on the first pass gives me a big advantage in my shave. I moved up from the Pro Guard blades to the Professional Standard Blades. Eventually, I'll get the Pro Super Blades since I have a tough beard. Once you get the technique down for this razor, it leaves almost nothing behind after the first pass. I have even started doing to ATG with it. I still need to be careful though because there is one word for these razors, "SHARP." You do not take these razors for granted. Ever. I also like them though because they work like a DE for me. It has the same "feel" to it as a DE. Once. I'm done with the Feather first pass and a little touch up, I then use a DE of choice to finish off an pesky whiskers that dare to show themselves. Usually, in the neck hollows or the really tight spots that everyone else says they have trouble with. What this does though is give me a 3 pass, very very close shave with almost no irritation unless I got complacent. That's no different than any other sharp instrument to face experience though.

In conclusion, I will be using this razor for a very long time and mix it up with other str8s and a DE. It's YM<MV all the way and this is the way for me.

4. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Looking for some advice,

I'm considering picking up a Feather AC non folding secondhand.

Is there any way that you can you tell the difference between an AC DX and an AC RG nonfolding razor by looking at them? I know that the DX is stainless and the RG isn't (and there's about a $100 difference between the two), but I don't know how to tell the difference between the two.

The last thing I want to do is "think" I got a fair price on a used AC DX and then later find out that I overpaid for an AC RG.

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

There is no discernible way to tell by just looking at them.

6. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

However, ask the seller what the razor came with: either in a plain box or in a plastic case in a box. Feather considers the DX model a sizeable upgrade over the RG so they provide plastic cases with the DX and nothing with the RG. Ask the seller if he has the plastic case. If he says he never had one, you know..

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:sihns011 Were you bidding on that one on eHay? Did you win it? It was a DX as far as I could tell and I was really tempted to get it for home since I use mine at work. (Not as a box cutter even though it looks like one) :D

8. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Nope, just trying to do my homework before I start searching for one.

I'd really like to pick up an AC RG as I really don't care if it's stainless or not (provided the RG version doesn't rust), should've picked one up during the group buy. But now that there are a some DX and RG nonfoldable straights out there on the forums, I just want to make sure I don't pay more for an RG than I should.

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

10. jramire2

jramire2 Member

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Oops sorry, have you checked with Telly? He was running some group buys a while ago if I'm not mistaken..perhpas he still has a line on getting some deals?

12. jramire2

jramire2 Member

No I haven't yet, but you make a good point. I'll have to PM him.

13. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I use a feather when I am in a little bit of a hurry in the morning and do not have the time to strop one of my other straights. Must say I enjoy the shave very much and the occasional convenience is nice.

14. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I use a CJB KAMASORI AND ITS AMAZING

GoodShave likes this.
  15. jdwhitak

jdwhitak New Member

Hello, I'm a newbie to the site, but I've been using the Feather products exclusively for the last 10 years. Back then I initially bought the Japanese style Artist Club SS. I quickly bought the Japanese style Artist Club DX afterwards. I think the DX series is the better choice as it doesn't have rounded edge on the handle. The flat edge of the DX allow it to get shallower angles relative to your skin.

If you want a Feather then I think the DX series is most comparable to a traditional straight razor. I sold the SS shortly after getting the DX. For the last 10 years I've been using my DX and the DE Feather makes exclusively until recently.

A few months ago I bought the traditional, folding Feather DX. I had to change my technique even though I had been using the Japanese style DX for so long. Visually the only difference is the handles. Personally, I think it is best to stick with one or two razors and just use them. Trying to switch up my technique for a bunch of different razors is too much for me.

Herm2502 and rs_776 like this.
  16. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site!

I must agree. I love my DX non-folding. If I had to pick just one razor, that would probably be it. But I'll add that the DX vs. SS debate does come down to personal preference. They each use a different methodology in terms of the angle and technique. The rounded edge on the SS is there for a specific purpose, and it does its job well.

I'm in the DX camp with you. I have a non-folding SS, and it's probably had more uses from me loaning to people than it has on my face. Great razor that does the job well - just not my preference.

The newer Feather SR may bridge the gap between the two methodologies, but I have yet to try one.

Anyway, thanks for posting your experience and wisdom.

17. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

I love my SS, though going ATG under my chin took some experimentation, being as I can't attack from as shallow an angle as I can with a traditional or, presumably, other Artists Club models. I'd love to see more comparisons of DX/SS with the SR, now that it's been out a while.

rs_776 and brit like this.
  18. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I picked up the SR kamisori a year or two ago on a Black Friday deal from Jatai (who has their deal going on now).
    I like the handle grip better than my CJB and it is more forgiving than my Kai Captain standard r-type folding razor.
    The SR sits between the SS and the DX in shave, lip design and blade exposure. The SR has a coating that is supposed to help prevent stiction (razor getting stuck in the lather).

slim6596, SterFry and rs_776 like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_20221124-003800.jpg
    This thread was dead years before the CJB was invented. Lol. You went digging for the deep lore.

20. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I picked up the Feather SR folding razor this year for Jatai's Black Friday deal since I liked the blade holder for the SR kamisori I bought from them previously.