1950 rhodium Gillette Executive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 19, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Who's got one of these rare sets? Mind posting pics of yours?

For those not sure what the Executive is, it's the only fully rhodium-plated razor Gillette made in the USA (the President was partially rhodium-plated) and was only available Christmas 1950. Very rare set. It's this set:

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

$10 sixty years ago is probably a pretty penny these days. What's a general range that one could expect to pay today for something like that? Granted there's always the $3 yard sale find, but it is unlikely at best.

Aside from the case and the coating, is that the same as a 40's Aristocrat?

3. IAmTheJody

Depending on condition of course, I've seen these sets sell for $300 to $800 with one exception that was mint NOS with shipper box, all 3 original sealed 10-blade Blue Blade dispensers and instructions. It went for for $1050.

The Executive has the barber-pole knurling on the handle and TTO knob, which none of the 1940+ Aristocrats did. Only the 1934-1939 open comb Aristocrats had the barber-pole knurling on the handle and TTO knob. So they both look alike save for one being solid-bar guard and one being open-comb guard and save for the 34-39 Aristocrat's TTO-knob also had 2 horizontal rings in their barber-pole knurling.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

The case for these sets is quite unique. Very cool set.

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

:D Can i have one?

6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Here is mine. All three cartridges are sealed with the two behind the mirror in the foil wrap.

Executive_5.jpg [/ATTACH]
    [/ATTACH]

Len

Old School likes this.
  7. IAmTheJody

Excellent Rodd! ::git Does yours have a date code on it?

Curious as to the date code on the blades too. They look like 1960s blades.

Very nice Len! And you've got the shipper box too! :shocked003

Does yours have a date code on it?

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Hi Jody,

No date code. But thanks for asking. I haven't picked it up in a long time. It's a shining jewel. Not a single mark on it or the case. Like it was just made today. It's my favorite and the most expensive razor in my collection.

Len

9. IAmTheJody

Very nice! I just bought this set this morning (hence the reason for this thread) and can't wait to have it in my hands. It's been a set I've been lusting for, for a long time now. The set I bought - the razor is minty, the case excellent, the mirror is flawless.. comes with the original instruction pamphlet/sheet and one opened original Blue Blades dispenser. Unfortunately, no shipper box. Hoping by this time next week, I'll have it and will have pictures to post.

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Jody,

You will love it. Congrats. It's a beautiful piece.

Len

11. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Member

WOW!

That's SWEET!!

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very, very nice!

13. IAmTheJody

Here's the one I bought yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. IAmTheJody

A correction...

I'd always read this set was only available in 1950 but have since learned from an advertisement (link below) that it was released in Christmas 1949. So it seems this set was made from Christmas 1949 to Christmas 1950.

Christmas 1949 advertisement

Christmas 1950 advertisement

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

wow that is pretty amazing. How are they as shavers? Or are you just keeping for collection?

16. IAmTheJody

I'll definitely shave with it once but it's mostly for the collection due to its rarity.

17. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is what I thought. If you don't mine me asking how much does one go for? I think that is one of the razors I think is absolutely amazing looking.

18. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I don't have pics but I have a set but the razors is missing the end caps. I saw another one on the 'Bay a few months ago at the last minute with fuzzy dark pics and snapped it up. It arrived and AGAIN was missing the end caps.

I've since tracked down another razor which looks like it has the end caps - finally! I can't wait for it to arrive and find out for sure.

19. IAmTheJody

Depending on condition of course, I've seen these sets sell for $300.00 to $800.00 with one exception that was mint NOS with shipper box, all 3 original sealed 10-blade Blue Blade dispensers and instructions. It went for for $1050.00

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Finally checked mine. No date code. I know the blades in the case aren't original, it is just what came in the case when I got it. Nice looking sets guys!