Some Progress

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bill, Aug 29, 2007.

?

What Material Would Be Best For Scales

Poll closed Nov 13, 2007.
  1. Desert Ironwood

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Kauri

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Purple Heart

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Yellow Heart

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Curly Maple

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Ebony

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Cocobolo

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. African Amazique

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Asian Cinnamon Burl

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  10. Bill's Choice

22 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. gugi

gugi New Member

Bill,

This is some great stuff! I would hope some day I'll have at least one of your beauties. And I think taking the extra time and effort to show the process is awsome. I kept being drawn to these threads....

cheers

2. CatMan

CatMan Member

Never mind! I completely missed the second page of this thread before I asked the question. Sorry!

3. CatMan

CatMan Member

345 - 60 = 285
    285 / 20 = 14.25

Bill, you do this magnificent work for $14.25/hour? In my opinion, this is way below its value!

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Until you do it yourself and see how long it takes you really can't say what you think it would take. Besides we only have very little information into what Bill does, so it really isn't fair for any of us to suggest how long it takes or what he should do or really anything on the topic. He is the expert, we just marvel at what he does.

A more common example of just how time can really stretch out even for something SIMPLE, making a chicken stock takes 10-12 hours and that is just simmering bones and vegetables! You rush it and you get something horribly bitter or unsatisfying. Just think of what would happen if you try to be quick with a custom straight razor. I wouldn't want to think of the result.:eek::eek:

5. RJTrevino1975

RJTrevino1975 New Member

Very nice blades, count me in as well.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Well I obviously missed this one. Just so that there is no misunderstanding...This situation will not happen again in the forum I have been entrusted to moderate. Public flaming of any sort will not be tolerated at any given point in time. If any of the moderators or admin has to interject again measures to ensure the situation does not happen again will be immediate and swift. Guaranteed.

This is first and foremost a gentleman's forum. Nothing less than proper behavior and decorum is expected.

Raf

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Sledge, matters like this should be discussed in private.

8. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

They are not pricey... I can show you pricey.

:angry032 What do I know... I must be doing it all wrong.

:angry032...:angry032

:angry032....:angry032....:angry032

9. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

... And you've been restoring or making razors how long to make this assessment? Y'know, my grandma used to say that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. ;)

It fleetingly crossed my mind that you may not be entirely knowledgeable in regards to this subject, so gifting me with uneducated criticism could, quite conceivably, be received as an insult. Continual belittlement regarding my work ethic will not garner you much credibility with those of us who do have a clue on what time it is. I would offer that you, not me, chill out and leave it alone. I invite you to land on someone else's potato salad. :D

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Well, it is obvious that this thread has digressed into something not even close to the subject at hand. After repeated unsuccesfull attempts to redirect back to subject this thread is now closed. I believe that the information in this thread is important and informative so I am leaving pertinent information available for reference.

Raf

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I am re-opening this thread in the best interest of the forum. If there is any indication that the thread is again going in the wrong direction it will be locked. Permanently.

Bill has a lot of information and knowledge to share and it is in this spirit that I re-open the thread.

Enjoy

Raf

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Good move....i was saddened to see it go

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks Raf....Post on Bill!

14. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Here are some updates on the filework. I'm close to being done with all but one. Once I'm satisfied, it's off to the heat treating process.

Here's the very first pattern of file work I ever did on a knife. I call it, simply, the vine pattern. It's simple, but pretty classy.
    [vbpg]587[/vbpg]

This is a view of the vine filework from the side. Attention to detail is pretty important when it comes to filework. Doing it properly can be tedious. I have to make sure it's right on before heat treat. Once it's 60 on the Rockwell C-scale... it's too late.
    [vbpg]588[/vbpg]

This is a view of a longer stretch of "modified vine". It's on one of the single-piece razors.
    [vbpg]589[/vbpg]

This is my half moon version. I like this one especially on thinner blades. It's actually pretty hard to do.
    [vbpg]590[/vbpg]

This is a group of the patterns. The one in front is "modified rope"
    [vbpg]591[/vbpg]

Here is another side view. The trick is to make everything look the same.
    [vbpg]592[/vbpg]

15. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Bill....im drooling all over the keyboard.

Are these presold...or do we have a shot at buying them.....minus the one for the Lotto........

AWESOME WORK!!!!!!

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow Bill, Those are Sweet!!!!!! :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

If any of your buyers back out, count me in...:D:D:D:D

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Pretty damn amazing Bill!

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Remember i asked first :happy023

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I wish we had a "touchdown" smiley...those blades are simply amazing. Thanks for sharing, Bill.

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Couldn't have said it any better myself ::

The looks of those, alone, are enough to get me into SER shaving. Just to be able to shave with one of those :cool: