Proraso vs Bigelow

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ztirf1953, May 26, 2011.

1. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I asked a question earlier today on a thread regarding a first time user of Proraso.

Someone made a comment about Bigelow which is made by the same company that makes Proraso.

Here's my original question:

I too love Proraso. I know that Proraso and Bigelow are very similar and are made by the same company.

Is Bigelow like Proraso (green tube) or more like Proraso (White tube - less menthol) or somewhere in between?

:confused:

2. true01

true01 Member

My understanding is its the exact same thing just different package from the green poraso....

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

No, not quite there are some difference between Proraso and Bigelow I copied this from another forum because I didn't feel like writing an essay on it again. :happy102

Contents of C. O. Bigelow Premium Shaving Cream:

Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Fragrance (Parfum), Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Metasilicate, Hydroxyethylcelluose, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT

Contents of Proraso Green Tube Shaving Cream:

Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Metasilicate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT.

4. mandoman

mandoman Member

its the same thing

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Proraso has an extra paraben as noted above...

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

As Aaron said, they are very, very close, but not quite 100% the same. Ingredient scans are below that match Aaron's essay. :)

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I have and use both. Despite the minor difference in formula they behave, shave, feel, smell identical. To answer your other question COB has menthol and you can feel it; same as Proraso. Both are lovely creams.

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Member

Is this stuff easy to come by in the US?
    I live in the UK but we're off to Northern California on holiday (Vacation) in August. Are there any stores which tend to stock it? ...and I'll need to be surreptitious as SWMBO and the little ones will be with me.

(We're travelling SanFrancisco-Lake Tahoe-Sonora-Fresno-Las Vegas then home)

9. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

The C.O. Bigelow version is stocked in nearly every Bath and Body Works, which can be found in nearly every mall throughout the US.

Bath and Body Works is a purveyor of products quite popular with the ladies (body wash, body lotion, body mist, perfume, hand soap, lip balm, candles) so you wife shouldn't really object too highly to going into the store. :D

Buy her some things, buy you some things. It should be all good!

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Enjoy your trip Paul.

11. easye

easye New Member

Yep the difference in the ingredients is not noticable.

12. Paul_D

Paul_D Member

OK.
    That should help.
    A quick Google search shows there's a Bath and Body Shop a few hundred yards away from one of the Hotels we're staying in.;)

13. Jordy

Jordy New Member

Either way there both wonderful products to use as a daily cream or to keep in youre rotation.

14. bosox1027

bosox1027 Member

The only difference that I see is that Proraso has Cinnamal, and Eugenal.. Other than that they are Identical in the ingredients used in making both.. After doing a quick Google search, Cinnamal is a yelow oil like substance, that gives Cinnamon it's spice. It's basically used by Proraso for it's fragrance. Eugenol is basically Clove oil, and is also used for fragrance, as well as for rashes, and minor skin irritations.. Which is great for DB shaving.. Although, from everything I've read, the difference in smell, and performance in a shaving cream, is minimal... They are basically the same product, in different packaging, that smell, and lather the same. They are both excellent shaving creams..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. troy

troy Member

shave the same to me...................

16. Tuco

Tuco Member

The tubed creams are the same.

17. mandoman

mandoman Member

Proraso and Bigelow are the same the Bigelow box says made by Proraso

18. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I think Proraso has a cooler looking tube. I'd wager that even those amongst us with the sharpest of senses would not be able to distinguish in a blind test.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I know nothing from the Bigelow, but I was told the stuff is 100% the exact same to Proraso Green.