My latest: 1960 Gillette 195 Adjustable aka Bottom Dial Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 10, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Say hello to my newest razor collection family member...

1960 (F-4 date code)

Allegedly a prototype but I'm not so sure I agree with that since the regular common Fat Boy was out in the same year as was the gold "Fat Boy" known as the Executive. Just doesn't seem plausible that with all 3 of them out in the same year, that the 195 made in the last 3 months of the year was a "prototype" in a retail case. To me, prototype means not available to the public. Why would Gillette make retail cases for the 195 if they weren't available to the public? Achim has a gold "Fat Boy", aka Executive, made in the first quarter of 1960, 6 to 9 months before this fourth quarter 195.

Prototype or not, this razor is super rare... the original case for it - with the magnifier in the lid on the right side of the lid - is even rarer. I got both. The case is a little worse for wear (a crack in the lid, a hinge broken) but even having a bottom dial case is a feat in itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is one beautiful razor!!! :cool::cool::cool:

It is not a prototype, but an early variant, before Gillette settled on the "Common Top Dial" design for both the FatBoy and the Slim.
    That would be easier to manufacture in the future since less length is required for the Dial mechanism.

I have seen a prototype one time on a shaving forum and the adjustments were from 1 - 5. This coarser setting was updated with the additional 4 settings to provide fine tuning.
    The prototype was also a bottom dial design as well.

Enjoy it!

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Wow, that's purty. It doesn't look like it was ever used.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wonderful razor & excellent score! Congratulations on that acquisition! What's next on your list? 1905 double? Very cool.

5. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Wow what a neat razor to have. Will you be shaving with this one? It seems like every time I read one of your posts it makes me want to go find a new razor.......Jody you are bad for my finances!

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Congrats! on your latest find. Every time I look at your collection makes me want to grow mine, I don't mind but SWMBO sure does!

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Congratulation, Jody, that´s a very fine find! I´m missing this case for my bottom dial :ashamed001

You are right, it´s not a Prototype (I must correct this on my site). The bottom dial FatBoy comes only 1960. The 5-click Toggle comes 1956, the Red Dot FatBoy, normal FatBoy and Gold Toggle comes 1958. So why a Prototype in 1960? And he comes with case and instruction - not usual for a Prototype. I don´t know, why Gillette has made this razor, but it´s rare.

[​IMG]

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Excellent insight on a really unique antique. Wonderful to have that item among our community and to have the additional information and perspective from our grand archivist and uber-historian. Thanks!

9. IAmTheJody

Thanks y'all! (yes, y'all IS a word here in the South!)

And as Jake said, thanks to Achim for his never ending knowledge and pictures!

Achim, you really should consider releasing a coffee table picture book. They have them on every other subject, why not razors? I'd buy it for sure. :)

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That thing looks sooooo cool. Congratulations on the great find.

11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The Amazing Jody does it again; thanks for the great thread, information, some of my favorite contributors of facts, and the pictures. Doug:happy096

12. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

beautiful version of the 195 and mr razor's article on proper use as well

13. Turtledrum

Turtledrum New Member

Congratulations Jody! The razor really looks clean and sharp too. I am glad you mentioned how the magnifier is on the right side of box. I am not sure if I would have picked up on that detail. They really thought of everything when they produced this razor. How excellent!!! :happy096

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

JODY! :mad:

[​IMG]

Enjoy it in good health! :)

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Jody, please tell me a little more about the case. You said that with the magnifier on the right side it is even more rare. :confused:

I have a '60 Fatboy in a case, but the magnifier is on the LEFT side of the lid. Did all Fatboy cases have the magnifier lid? Please elaborate.

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Very cool..It really doesn't look like it's been used..And Achim's instructions...I've never seen the instructions for the bottom dial...Very hip!!
    When is the Maiden Voyage...When will we see this one in the SoS Thread?...

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'd be interested in one.

18. IAmTheJody

Steve,

On the regular Fat Boy cases, the magnifier is on the left-hand side of the lid so as to magnify the numbered adjuster ring that is under the head. On the bottom-dial Fat Boy, the magnifier is on the right-hand side of the lid so as to magnify the numbered adjuster ring that is towards the bottom of the handle. See photos below. Also, as seen below, the bottom-dial FB case is larger than the normal FB case:

[​IMG]
    bottom-dial case left, normal case right

[​IMG]
    bottom-dial case left, normal case right

As far as I know, all Fat Boy flavors came in a case that had a magnifier on it - except of course the gold Fat Boy known as the adjustable Executive.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And now I know.

Thanks Jody! :happy088

20. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Awesome score, and thanks for sharing with us. Now to find one and convince SWMBO why I must have it.:rolleyes: